Five Projects to Keep You Busy This Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

With the stress of final exams and the semester coming to an end, us collegiettes are in the midst of a much-deserved, and needed, winter break. It’s finally time to relax at home and binge watch those TV shows we have fallen behind on.

Although watching Netflix is a great way to battle boredom, winter break can be a great time to be productive. Now that you have a free schedule without alarm clocks ringing at 8 a.m., or maybe at all, it might be a good time to finally get started on those projects you have been pushing off for too long.

If you don’t quite have plans over break, consider crossing these projects off your list:

Clean-out Your ClosetEminem sings about cleaning out his closet, and its time to do the same this break, collegiettes. Although deciding what to keep, sell, donate, swap, or trash in your fashion wardrobe is not the most appealing way to spend a Saturday afternoon, there is no better time to assess which items still fit in terms of style and size. It can be difficult to let go of pretty pieces that once made your heart flutter, like the now champagne-stained sparkly dress you wore on NYE ’11, or that pair of worn-down denim shoved in the back of your closet.

Go on an Untagging SpreeAn untagging spree is similar to a shopping spree: overwhelming, time-consuming, yet rewarding. Winter break is a great time to sort through your 3,405 tagged photos on Facebook, deleting those that are perhaps a little too risqué, embarrassing, or outdated. Untagging can be a fun and nostalgic way to keep busy as you reminisce over old photos of you and your BFF circa Halloween 2010 that you completely forgot about.

Start a Blog on a Topic You LoveLet’s be real: which millennia doesn’t like to brunch and take pictures of it? #eeeeats #eatfortheinsta. This break you could start your very own food blog. Starting a food blog isn’t very difficult – just hit up a few of your favorite restaurants, order some dishes from their new winter menu, and snap a few pics. Top it off with a witty comment (and maybe dessert), a filter of your choice, and voila!

Strengthen Your RelationshipsWith our fast-paced, work-heavy lifestyles, it can be hard to stay in touch with even some of our closest friends. Use this break as a time to reconnect with old friends, establish stronger connections with ones that are new, and focus on those friendships that you find meaningful.

Create a LinkedIn AccountAlthough summer vacation is a few months away, it is never too early to begin searching for a summer job or internship. With your sudden empty schedule, consider taking some time to make a LinkedIn profile. LinkedIn helps you search through pages of job listings and recommends jobs that directly match your profile’s listed interests.

With that being said, don’t feel pressured to undertake all of these projects. Winter break is a time to finally get eight hours of sleep (in your own room in your big queen sized bed!), dine at your favorite restaurants, and cuddle with your pup, because who else?

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com