Fitness Trends That Will Never Go Out Of Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

It seems as if every day there is a new study released that proves that there is a new form of fitness that is actually “better” for you in the long run. One week you hear that cardio will give you the best long term results. The next week we are hearing that it is Yoga and Pilates that are best for our bodies. With all this new research coming out it is hard to find a workout plan that you like and that you believe is truly giving you the best results. Her Campus sat down to look into different studies to discover which fitness trends are actually the best for you and will also never go out of style.

Yoga

Yoga is a type of exercise that when done while you are younger will have a positive effect for you and your body when you are older. Yoga leads to increased flexibility, muscle strength and tone. Yoga also protects your spine and betters bone health. While yoga has a positive effect on your body it can also have a positive effect on your mind and soul. Yoga has been shown to give peace of mind as well as increased self-esteem.

Elliptical

When arriving at the gym you might want to head towards the elliptical instead of grabbing a treadmill. It has been proven that elliptical machines can be less stressful on your knees, hips and back rather than running on a treadmill. Another advantage of the elliptical is that it is a great workout for your upper body as well. And next time you find yourself on the elliptical, try going backwards. It’s been proven that by pedaling in reverse you can work the calves and hamstrings.

Running

While there has always been a great debate over which is better for your body, running outdoors or on a treadmill, in all honesty one does not really have a greater advantage over the other. Whether you decide to run outside or indoors on the treadmill, you are still getting a good workout. Running is a type of exercise that some people will always claim to be controversial, whether it is the belief that running will lead to weak knees or is bad for your ankles. Despite this, running is a great form of cardio and if you choose to go outside, is a great way to get out of your house. Much like yoga, running is not just good for your body but also for your mind. Running has been proven to relieve stress and eliminate depression.

Drinking Water

Drinking water is one fitness trend that will truly never go out of style. It is important to stay hydrated throughout your whole workout and to drink water both before, during, and after exercising. If you don’t get enough water during your workout, your chances of dehydration increase greatly. Next time you step outside for a run or leave for the gym, don’t forget to grab your water bottle in order to achieve the best workout.