Feeling Down? Take a Hike

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

It’s that time of year again – the crisp smell of the leaves burning, the delicious honey crisp apples, the comfy sweaters, and, obviously, the pumpkin spice lattes are just a few of the many autumnal experiences we look forward to each fall. A major perk to living in central Pennsylvania is getting to experience its spectacular fall foliage. What better way to soak up all of the gorgeous colors and changing trees than to go on a picturesque hike? Not only is hiking good for your body and health, the peaceful atmosphere offers significant benefits to your mind as well. Hiking is the perfect way to make exercise more interesting; especially if you bring a friend, a dog or significant other.  Here are five reasons why you should incorporate hiking in to your autumn routine:

1. Hikers are Seriously Fit

Don’t like to go to the gym? Fortunately, hiking hits it all. Legs, abs, booty – you name it and hiking works it. If you want to get in a moderate yet beneficial workout, then hiking is for you. And, hey, you’ll look great too! Another advantage is that you do not need to be in tip-top shape start going on hikes: hike easier trails first, then progressively work your way up to more challenging ones.

1. Boost Your Grades

Clearing your mind while spending time in nature exercises your brain as well as your body. Having a mind that is in “good shape” makes it easier to focus on studying and increases retention, both of which leads to achieving your best academically.

1. Hikers are creative

Immersing yourself within the beauty of nature can open your mind to new possibilities and ideas, and as a result, creativity flourishes! Forget the coffee and go for a hike instead- – research shows that walking gets creativity flowing way more than lounging around does. All you need to do is unplug your electronics and interact with nature to allow the measurable benefits to creative problem-solving fall into place.

1. Consider Obsessive Thoughts Gone

The best way to get out of your own head is to get OUT! Sometimes trying to balance your school work, your social life and your activities can cause thoughts to run around your head nonstop. Instead of letting those negative and overwhelming thoughts consume you, get outdoors! Hiking puts a pause on the stressors in life while allowing you to feel in the moment.

1. Hikers Connect More with Themselves and Nature

Hiking encourages a feeling of well-being that allows you to feel more connected to yourself. Relating to the natural beauty of our planet opens you to learn more about yourself, and the world around you, than you ever imagined. While walking through the crunchy leaves, climbing over intertwined roots and jumping on rocks in a creek creates a sense of happiness within yourself while connecting with the unique aspects of nature. As Rachel Carson says in Silent Spring: “Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts. … There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature — the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter.”

Many Bucknellians have intense schedules and demands on our time but when you go for a hike you are allowing your body to settle down and feel on top of the world, literally.

And, at the end, the view isn’t bad either.

What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.