Is exhausted the new black?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

BEEP BEEP BEEP! The alarm is going off again. You stumble out of bed with your eyes half open, grab a quick breakfast, brew the cup of coffee that is absolutely necessary to function this morning, make your best effort to look decently presentable, and rush out the door. When you finally settle into your usual seat in class, you realize that it was only forty-five minutes ago that you were happily asleep in your bed…but you already need a nap.

Why is it that even on those lucky (and extremely rare!) nights when we get eight plus hours of sleep, we still find ourselves stumbling around campus like zombies the next day? Why does it seem like no amount of coffee will ever be enough to make us feel completely awake? Most importantly, why is being tired 24/7 the newest “in” thing?! NYFW definitely forgot to mention this as the latest fall trend…

Reality in the world of  ZzZz’s

Did you know that women are more likely than men to get an insufficient amount of sleep? How about that employed people get more rest than unemployed people or that the higher level of education you have, the more sleep you’re likely to get? Studies show that adults need at least seven to nine hours of sleep, but most college students report that they get six per night, if they’re lucky. During this incredibly busy and exciting time of life, it’s easy to get caught up in the social scene, never-ending academic obligations, and the million other things competing for your attention on campus. Hey, at least studies also show that it can only get better as you get older…the older you get, the lower percentage of insufficient sleep reported! 

The “supposed to’s”

You probably already know that your daily habits can be the worst offenders when it comes to disruption in your sleep habits. As a self-proclaimed coffee and ice cream addict, it makes me less than thrilled to know that caffeine and sugar can cause your blood sugar levels to fluctuate to unhealthy levels, but it’s in the science. We all know the story; aim to get healthy sugars and carbohydrates from fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and whole grains and to stop eating for the day at least 2-3 hours before bedtime (side-note: late night Bison fro-yo is totally an exception, as long as it’s in moderation…so maybe not every night). We’re told to exercise at least thirty minutes three to five times a week, turn off our electronics a good hour or so before we go to sleep, and to wake up around the same time everyday – even on the precious “sleep in” days designated by our class schedules. We know to keep naps at no more than thirty minutes and before three in the afternoon, keep our beds as a place for nothing more than “sleep, sickness, and sex” (not studying!), and above all, to make sleep a priority. In a perfect world, maybe we’d follow every single one of those “rules,” but, as perfect as the “bubble” we live in seems, it’s college nonetheless! So what happens when sticking with the majority of these guidelines isn’t enough?

When tired becomes too tired

When daily activities are causing you fatigue, despite logging eight or so hours of sleep, it might be time to take a closer look at your health. Often times, chronic fatigue is caused by depression, diabetes, thyroid problems, and even sleep apnea. That being said, iron is the number one nutritional deficiency worldwide. Women of reproductive age are at a statistically higher risk of having this issue known as anemia. Because iron is a crucial factor in hemoglobin production, insufficient levels reduce the amount of oxygen that your red blood cells can carry to places in your body that need it…not good! Having a clinician run a full blood panel is the only way to be certain that you have this condition, but in addition to constant fatigue, symptoms for women with anemia often include feeling weak and short of breath and having difficulty sleeping and concentrating. Luckily, an iron-rich diet, full of meat, dried fruits, beans, and dark, leafy greens can help. A good diet, combined with taking the proper supplements and vitamins, such as Vitamin C to increase the body’s absorption of iron, can solve this common, yet debilitating problem. 

So, keep doing your best to get your eight-plus hours of sleep, get to the gym when you can, and never pass up the opportunity for a nap when it presents itself. Also, remember that although fro-yo may not be the best cure for low energy, it makes you happy, and being happy is almost equally as important as getting enough sleep…right?

Sara is a current sophomore double majoring in Psychology and English with a concentration in Creative Writing. Aside from serving as the Vice President of Administration and writing for Her Campus Bucknell, she is a tour guide, holds a position in her sorority, and serves as a peer counselor at a local elementary school. Sara is an avid fan of yoga, coffee, reading, spontaneous dance parties, and anything that involves rainbow sprinkles.
Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com