The Era of the Pumpkin Spice Latte

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Basics love them, moms carve them, and the pilgrims couldn’t have celebrated Thanksgiving without them: pumpkins. Sweater weather has arrived, and that means no one can escape from being pumpkinized. At this time of year, it’s hard to go anywhere without being bombarded by the abundance of pumpkin-flavored indulgences. In fact, they have become so popular that the haters have been sippin’ the haterade and refuse to embrace any and all pumpkin spice related products. Can’t everyone just see that they’re innocent little gourds?

The popularity of the Starbucks pumpkin spice latte has started an obsession that’s trending everywhere. We’ve all come to love and indulge in the pumpkin flavored treats. Donuts, pies, lattes, cheesecakes, seasoned seeds… You name it, chances are that we love it.

Aside from all those delicacies, companies across the States have brainstormed a lot – maybe even a little too much – on how they think they can improve your autumnal life. Not only do people want to eat pumpkin spice treats now, but it seems as though consumers want to smell like them too. Instead of choosing your go-to lotion of choice next time at CVS, maybe it’s time to check out the Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin Body Lotion or the Maple Pumpkin Air Fresheners. Thanks to both of these seasonal items, you can now make yourself seem more appetizing.

And in case you wanted to pamper not only yourself with these pumpkin delights, you can now spoil man’s best friend with pumpkin flavored dog treats. Maybe they taste good, but you should probably let your dog find out for itself. Besides that, what are the chances that your dog even cares? Slim to none.

When we were kids, we categorized pumpkins with jack-o-lanterns. Now that we’re far into the 21st century, we would be dumb to not realize how much pumpkin spice has infused our lives with happiness and autumn. People can make fun of the pumpkin spice latte for labeling it as too basic, but who can just easily give up the chance to spend a few dollars on the best thing ever? Before you know it, you’ll be closing this article to open up Pinterest for some more pumpkin spice recipes you can treat yourself to.  

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com