Enjoying Valentine’s Day, Even Miles Away

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Valentine’s Day is the one day per year in which smothering your significant other in love and affection for no apparent reason is totally, socially acceptable. It is no surprise, then, that February 14th elicits more eye-rolls out of single people than any other day on the calendar.  But who dreads Valentine’s Day even more than single people? …People in long-distance relationships. Managing an LDR can be difficult as it is; special occasions spent apart are even worse. If you are one of the brave souls working on a long distance relationship, fear not! There are ways for you and your Valentine to enjoy the holiday, regardless of the miles between you.

1.     Make time for each other. This is super important! Neither of you may be able to swing a visit, but that doesn’t mean the lovey-dovey displays of affection around campus need to bum you out. Even just hearing your Valentine’s voice on the phone or seeing them on FaceTime will make you feel much better.

2.     Pretend you actually ARE on a date. Find a time Saturday night that you are both available to try Synaptop Theatre, an application that allows you and a friend to simultaneously watch a movie of your choice. You might even want to have your Valentine on the phone so you can hear his/her laughs in real time. Cuddle up with that stuffed animal s/he got you last V Day; it’s like you’re right next to each other!

3.     Never underestimate the romance of snail-mail. Make package-notification-emails the love letters of the 21st century by shipping your Valentine a box of treats. Sending something sweet from downtown Lewisburg (hint: Purity Candy!) makes the surprise feel even more heartfelt. Mail-order flowers and fruit baskets are also guaranteed hits. If you’re really on your game, you might want to send him/her a countdown jar of Hersey’s kisses: one for each day until you see each other next.

4.     Make a different day your V Day. Why dwell on being apart on the 14th when you can throw calendars aside and declare your own, personal, more practical V Day? Plan a different weekend to shower each other with love and affection. Having something to look forward to is always an LDR-mood-booster. Bonus: on any other weekend, that romantic dinner res will be easier to get. Score!

5.     Remember to enjoy the day wherever you are. Even if you aren’t with your Valentine on V Day, you’ll still be surrounded by people who do love you. Don’t forget to share the love with them too!

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com