An End to Fashion Rules

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

With New York Fashion Week over and magazines, celebs, and style icons quickly overwhelming the minds of anxious college fashionistas, the “rule book” of fall has officially arrived. Each season, the long-awaited statements of “what to wear” reach millions of people around the world as all strive to obtain the society-proclaimed trendiest and chicest looks of the season. Ads pop up on our screens, fashion shows happen around the world, and magazines release articles on how to exactly copy a celeb’s newest outfit. While this mass production and media outpour brings cheaper and quicker access clothes, I dare everyone to think about what happens to creativity with this continual push for one look.

It’s no secret that fitting in is a social construction. For hundreds of years, women have followed strict clothing norms in an attempt to become the ideal woman that would satisfy a man. We’ve all seen the pictures of women who suffocated themselves in tight corsets and long, fluffy uncomfortable dresses. Or women in other cultures who went through painful situations to achieve beauty, such as Footbinding in the ancient Chinese culture. At one point in time, women were not allowed to show an inch of skin on a beach; if they wanted to swim in the ocean, they had to go into the water completely covered up.  And why did women do this? Was it an attempt to satisfy the men? To fit in with the women around them?

The 70s was a pivotal point for women’s fashion (high fives and peace signs to the girls who dared to make a change). With women entering the work place and generally fighting for more rights, androgynous clothing suddenly developed. A perfect example is Diane Keaton in the famous 1977 film Annie Hall. Keaton boldly wore oversized clothing that was always intended for men, inspiring women across the nation to copy her menswear inspired fashion. The film can have arguably changed fashion forever, women using this new fashion to gain equality in politics and work environments.

Today, everything is shifting. Politically, socially, and culturally, our generation is witnessing crazy and rapid changes that many people never thought could happen. It is something I stand here proud to be a part of. I look forward to looking at my grandchildren and saying, “Yup, I remember that” with a smile. Especially in terms of fashion, statements are becoming bolder and wilder, throwing rules in the trash. Trends from the 90s and 70s are suddenly in full swing as if they had never gone out of style. John Lennon sunglasses, overalls, and chokers are all taking the world by storm (can’t say I hate it). Plus size models are taking over fashion magazines and wearing things “not typical for their body”, a most recent example being the beautiful plus-size model Ashley Graham wearing lingerie during a fashion week show. Beauty standards are being challenged, millions of women campaigning for a new definition of what looking good really means.

Despite these changes, all too many times I hear the women of Bucknell say “Oh that’s cute, but I could never pull it off.” But why can’t you pull it off? Is it the fear of what the fairly similarly dressed population of Bucknell would say? Is it a self- conscious issue, social norms telling you that certain clothing isn’t for your particular body style? Or could it be a deeper psychological issue underlying a current search to find out who you are in such an unpredictable and media-based society?

I can’t answer the question for you, but I can dare everyone to wear whatever he or she wants in an effort to restore originality. I call a motion to uphold uniqueness. It’s happening amongst people around the world; bold women are taking stands in wearing whatever the hell they want. So why can’t it happen at Bucknell? I don’t care if you think my Birkenstocks make me look like a hippie man; they’re super comfortable and I think they’re cool. And sure, high-waisted shorts may have been deemed “unflattering” by boys everywhere, but I’m going to wear them if I think they look great with my outfit. I say proclaimed ugly is the new in. Make Diane Keaton proud.

Still need some convincing? Take some advice from these bold badass chicks who are inspiring people around the world.

Baddie Winkle challenges “age appropriate clothing” beautifully in her in clothes many people consider to be young and inappropriate. I hope I’m as cool as her at that age.

Plus size model Ashley Graham sports awesome lingerie at a recent fashion show. “For me, wearing lingerie isn’t about anyone else but me. If I dressed for others I would be a miserable person.”

Diane Keaton, from Annie Hall. No words necessary.

Helpful articles used:

http://www.bustle.com/articles/64008-7-body-positive-ashley-graham-quotes-that-will-make-you-feel-just-as-great-as-she

http://glamourdaze.com/history-of-womens-fashion/1900-to-1919

What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.