The Eco-Friendly Wardrobe: The Newest Fashion Frontier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

With cooler weather rolling in and fall just around the corner, a happy thought goes out to booties, scarves and the congenial “sweater weather” wardrobe. New seasonal trends are exciting and fashion forward, yet there is one in particular that has been attracting significant attention in the fashion industry: “eco-fashion”. Often paired with other terms like “organic,” “sustainable,” and “fair trade” eco-friendly fashion is a relatively new trend that supports the idea of environmentally conscious clothing. This trend is great in that it is raising environmental awareness for the kinds of materials, labor and processes used in the fashion industry, but it can also be tricky, too.

Due to its increasing popularity, the term “green” or “eco-” clothing has been adopted by larger companies that do little to change their production process, while cashing in on their consumer’s environmental concerns. Rachel Miller, a teacher of sustainable design in the Department of Fashion Design at Pratt Institute, says that, “Sustainable design’ could mean any number of things. It could be about preserving the environment, it could be about ethics and fair wages, it could be a designer that has an interest in designing with organic materials, or it may be recycling what’s already there, using recycled materials to create something new.” This uncertainty leaves a sticky mess for consumers when they are trying to be environmentally aware shoppers. The good thing, however, is that there are still ways to be a green shopper without getting caught in the web.

The first thing to do is research! We are college students, researching is a part of our everyday lives. The more you know about companies that claim to be environmentally friendly, the quicker you can spot one’s that don’t. Read the mission statement, read some reviews. The more you know, the more you can make informed decisions about your clothing.

The second thing is start with the basics. Look for basic tee’s or pants that you can wear year round. Being a “green” consumer is a real commitment. Because the trend is so new and so involved, eco-friendly clothing can be expensive. By investing in an everyday outfit, you will get to know the industry, while also getting to know if this lifestyle choice works for you and your budget.

The third thing is to keep in mind that environmentally friendly clothing does not always entail buying new things. Check out your local thrift store for recycled threads! Not only will you find unique styles and original accessories, but you will also be decreasing your environmental impact by decreasing the demand for new products that require energy and resources to make.

Despite the hurtles that exist in this new fashion trend, there are multiple ways you can reduce your impact on the environment while still being fashion forward!

Sources:

http://fashionista.com/2012/04/10-eco-friendly-fashion-brands-we-can-get-behind#1

http://www.elle.com/fashion/g8913/best-eco-friendly-fashion-brands/

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/lifestyle/a-guide-to-buying-sustainable-fair-trade-and-vegan-clothing/

Katherine Anna Wagner - Bucknell University - PA - "have courage and be kind"
What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.