Easy Breakfast Ideas for Your Busy Mornings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.
They say that breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day, and the science proves to be true. Switching up your typical breakfast is an easy change to make at the start of the semester to make morning classes a little more bearable. 
From the beverage breakdown to quick and easy recipes, here’s out to make the best of the most important meal of the day. 

When it comes to beverages, not all liquids are created equal. Here are some of the most beneficial options and alternatives to A.M. favorites. 

Water: While this staple drink is not one of the most interesting choices, adding fruit or sugar free Crystal Light is beneficial for getting a kick start in metabolism and digestion for the day ahead. 

Coffee: Ahh, yes, the liquid gift from the gods. While coffee is often an integral part of most student’s days, cutting out the added sugar in your daily cup will prevent a major sugar crash that could occur later on in the day. With so much added sugar making morning drinks feel like desserts, it’s not surprising that 1/3 of the calories consumed in America come from beverages. From eatthis.com, “if your sweet tooth must be satisfied, ask your barista to add in two pumps of your favorite flavored syrup to your cup instead of the Frap’s four (we like caramel). This simple swap will save you more than 400 calories and a whopping 53 grams of the sweet stuff.” 

Green Tea: Known as one of the secret ingredients to weight loss and health, tea (in particular green tea) is great for antioxidants and has been found to help with weight loss. According to eatthis.com, “the secret tool is green tea—a humble drink that’s been cherished as a health miracle for centuries, but one that science is finally coalescing around.”

As Bucknellians, it can be pretty difficult to actually prepare a meal in the morning, but all it takes is a little time and prep to have a home-cooked breakfast. The recipes below can all can be made in advance (or on break at home), and are both filling and delicious. 

Coconut Chocolate Cookies 

For a gluten and dairy free vegan option, these cookies taste like eating dessert. 
  • 2 Tablespoon virgin coconut oil
  • 1 Tablespoon honey
  • 1/2 cup gluten free oats
  • 1 teaspoon shredded coconut
  • 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder

Set oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients in a bowl (alternate between dry and liquid ingredients). Bake on a cookie sheet for 10-15 minutes. 

Chocolate Oatmeal 

For this super simple recipe, microwave 1/2 cup gluten free oats and 1/2 cup of milk for 2-3 minutes. You should swap out regular milk for chocolate almond milk. Don’t forget to add some fresh berries on top!

Pancake Muffins 

Theses are very easy to make with pancake mix and are a great on-the-go breakfast!

• 2 cups of pancake mix
  • 2/3 cup milk 
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup 

Mix all of the ingredients together and divide evenly among 18 cupcake tins. Add any other toppings to the mix and bake for 350 degrees for about 15 minutes. These can be stored in an airtight container for about a week and are great on their own or topped with peanut butter.
Emma Sheehy is a senior English major at Bucknell University. Now washed up, she can be seen running around Lewisburg, people watching on the first floor of the library and drinking wine in her apartment. She prefers to send snail mail, call people rather than text (to the dismay of her friends) and loves nighttime walks. To see more of her "stuff" check out her personal blog on life at Bucknell at http://www.emmasheehy.com.