The Early Bird Gets the Worm: 5 Benefits of Waking up Early

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

The majority of successful people, including CEOs and Olympic athletes, have one thing in common: they are early risers. According to Thomas Jefferson,“the sun has not caught [him] in bed in fifty years,” while Benjamin Franklin postulated that “early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise”.  

With the start of a new school year, many collegiettes are still adjusting to their unfamiliar schedules and figuring out their daily routines. Consider this the perfect opportunity to start your year on the right foot. Waking up in the morning can be difficult for everyone, especially for those of us with 8 a.m. classes. However, jumping out of bed rather than hitting the snooze button is typically worthwhile in the long run. By simply waking up 15 minutes earlier each day, you can live your dreams instead of sleeping through them.

Benefits of waking up early:

1. Do better in school. Research has proven that students who wake up earlier earn better grades. In 2008, a study was conducted at the University of Texas that showed students who woke up early and saw themselves as “morning people” had higher test scores and full-point-higher GPAs than individuals who considered themselves to be night owls.  

2. Eat a good breakfast. Most students rarely eat breakfast before their morning classes, even though the body needs nutrients to have energy and be able to focus throughout the day. There’s a reason breakfast is called the most important meal of the day! Eating in the morning permits healthier eating all day long.

3. Be more productive. Wake up an hour early to do an hour more! This is more effective for enhancing productivity than staying up an hour later, because the early hours tend to pose fewer distractions for you to plan and prioritize your day. In 2010, Christoph Randler, a biologist from Harvard University, discovered that morning people are more proactive than afternoon or night people. When surveyed, early risers were more likely to agree with the statement “I spent time identifying long range goals for myself,” which indicates a commitment to maximizing the use of one’s time.

4. Improve your mental health. How you decide to spend the first hour of your day reflects how the rest of your day will go. Early risers tend to be more optimistic and positive people. Waking up early allows for “you” time in quiet settings. Even a simple five minutes of mediation to start your day can boost your mood and reduce your stress.

5. Exercise. Start off your morning by treating your body right! Working out in the morning minimizes your chances of missing a workout later in the day due to unexpected social plans or laziness after classes. Throw in the added benefit of not spending the entire day dreading your impending pre-dinner trip to gym, and this early bird habit becomes a sure winner.

Sources:

https://www.healthambition.com/benefits-of-waking-up-early/

Molly Farrell is a junior at Bucknell University majoring in creative writing and minoring in arts entrepreneurship. She enjoys long walks on the beach, netflix to continue playing, and her puns intended. Follow her on instagram: mfarrell34
What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.