This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

The high prevalence of eating disorders among young women today is continually growing. Anorexia and bulimia seem to be the two most common and talked about eating disorders. Both conditions are triggered by an obsessive fear of gaining weight. But with all the new diet trends today, girls are finding new ways to lose weight in an unhealthy manner other than anorexia and bulimia. So, have you heard of drunkorexia? This is a new phenomenon to me. Drunkorexia is not a medical term, but a slang expression used to describe another eating disorder. Drunkorexia happens when a person has the habit of restricting food calories to make room for alcoholic drink calories. Studies have shown that approximately 30% of women between the ages of 18-23 diet just so they can drink. 

Drunkorexia is most prevalent in college women (and sometimes college men as well) and stems from the fear of gaining weight from drinking alcoholic beverages. Sure, you can drink a Skinny Girl margarita, but it is no lie that alcohol is high in calories. Often times, this slips peoples minds when they’re enjoying a drink or two with their friends. Here is an approximation of the amount of calories in “basic” alcohol:

• 1 beer= 154 calories (regular) 103 calories (light)
  • 1 shot of 80-proof gin, rum, vodka, whiskey, tequila= 97 calories
  • 1 glass of red wine= 125 calories
  • 1 glass of white wine= 121 calories

Those who are 21 years old and those who binge drink in college during a night of partying, do not always realize the amount of calories they consume in one night. However, this does not mean you should be eating less in order to drink more. In fact, if you do choose to drink and are of the legal drinking age, it is essential that you eat a healthy and substantial meal prior to drinking so that your body can absorb the alcohol. The alternative to gaining weight from alcohol should not be eating less to drink more. If you are worried about drinking and gaining weight, try these alternatives instead:

• Limit yourself and manage your alcohol intake
  • If you choose to drink, pick healthier drinks with fewer calories and less sugar!
  • Eat moderate portions throughout the day. Eating less before drinking may leave you more hungry and susceptible to binge eating late at night!
  • Exercise regularly 

Eating disorders can be detrimental to ones physical and mental health and should be taken very seriously. Some college women may even have drunkorexia without even realizing it and without knowing what they are doing is unhealthy. One should never restrict their food intake just to have an extra beer. If you or a friend have “drunkorexic” habits or tendencies, it is best to find encouragement from friends and family that support a healthier lifestyle. It is important to eat all the essential food groups every day and maintain a healthy diet! 

**Disclaimer: This article is not condoning underage drinking in college. The legal drinking age is 21 years old and this article applies to 21-year-olds who choose to drink alcohol.

Sources:

http://www.healthyhorns.utexas.edu/drunkorexia.html

http://rethinkingdrinking.niaaa.nih.gov/toolsresources/caloriecalculator.asp