This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Kale for breakfast anyone? It’s no secret that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. So why not make the meal really count by adding some greens? Toss in some greens to your smoothies for a nutritious way to kick start your day. Not only is this a great way to sneak in more vegetables and fruits in your daily diet but also a helps you get your daily intake of fiber. What about the green juice craze? While there are many benefits from juicing, most juicing methods remove the produce’s fiber, whereas blending maintains its fiber and other nutrients. Thus, green smoothies are a healthier choice! Intrigued? Good. Below, we have some delicious recipes that we recommend you try.

“Bikini Smoothie”

• 1 cup raw spinach
  • 1 cup frozen peaches
  • 1 cup frozen pineapples
  • ½ sliced frozen banana
  • 1 cup almond milk

This smoothie is amazing for breakfast – refreshing and super filling.

Sweet Spinach Smoothie

• 2 tbsp avocado (to make it creamy!)
  • 15 grapes (green or red)
  • 1 pear, ripe
  • 2 cup spinach
  • 1tbsp lime juice (optional)
  • 6oz Greek yogurt

Don’t be intimidated by the 2 cups of spinach – you can’t even taste it, promise. This will definitely have you full ’till lunch.

The Organic Protein Smoothie

• 2 sliced frozen bananas
  • 1 huge handful of spinach
  • 1 tbsp almond butter
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • Vega Protein Smoothie Mix (optional)

My gym back home makes these amazing protein smoothies packed with spinach, bananas, and peanut butter. This is my little twist on their recipe. I prefer almond butter – it is more nutritious in healthy fats, fiber, and vitamins – but feel free to substitute it for the classic PB. Drink this after a morning workout, it works as a filling breakfast and post workout recovery meal.

Blueberry Kale Smoothie

• 3oz Greek yogurt
  • 1tbsp almond butter
  • ½ cup frozen blueberries
  • ½ cup frozen pineapple
  • 1 cup kale
  • ¾ cup water

This is by far one of my favorite smoothies. It’s thick, refreshing, and a great belly-flattener. Plus, this smoothie doesn’t look green so you feel like you’re actually drinking a fruit smoothie and forget about that cup of kale in there!

These are some of my favorite smoothies but don’t feel confined to the recipes. Add some other great super foods to make them even healthier – think chia seeds, hemp seeds, flax seeds, cacao powder, spirulina and more. The blending method gives you the opportunity to incorporate a variety of supplements and nutrients you would normally be lacking in your daily meals, so take full advantage! Go, be brave and try out one of these recipes this week! Take a picture of your smoothie and tag @HCBucknell so that we can share with everyone your favorite recipe!

Sources:

http://toneitup.com/2013/05/bikini-bite-%E2%98%80-from-lauren-conrad/htt…

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com