Don’t Do It! Why Not to Date Your Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

And by “it” I mean date your best friend. Many people think men and women can’t truly just be platonic friends. And others (or maybe those same silly people) believe that your best romantic relationship stems from your friendship with your best guy friend. I would like to look all of those previously mentioned people in the eyes and say, “You’re wrong!” Guys and gals can certainly be just friends. Just because you have a close guy friend does not mean you have date him. In fact, you really shouldn’t! Here’s why…

Now first, let’s define “guy best friend.” A guy best friend isn’t that dude in your friend group that you hang out with a lot but who you actually want to date. That’s a crush, and I say go for it. A guy best friend is equivalent to your favorite and closest gal pal: you both know all the words to every Mumford and Sons song, you share that same sick sense of humor (people falling down stairs really IS hilarious!), and you give each other the uncensored truth, even if it sometimes hurts.  What you don’t share, however, is the urge to rip each other’s clothes off when you find yourselves alone together. Like I said, best gal pal equivalent.

You shouldn’t date your best guy friend because then you lose that balance that you truly need in your life. While we as a society are working our way towards gender equality (yay!), there are undeniable biological differences between men and women, and that’s great too. Your guy best friend brings something truly unique and special to the friendship that sometimes girlfriends just can’t provide. Having a platonic best friend of the opposite sex is a true gift. A male best friend can help give you insight as to why that douchey guy from your chem class never called you again. He might know which guy would be best for you if the chiseled lax player and the rugged outdoorsmen both ask you out. And he can keep your expectations realistic when they might be getting a little out of hand: your voice of reason when you truly need it.

The second you decide to date your “guy best friend,” everything changes. He has to tell you that you look good in that dress (even if you don’t) because he’s seen you naked. He is obligated to like your cooking even if it resembles something like dog food. And he has to take your side on everything even when you’re being completely irrational.

He’s your best friend. And just because your best friend is a he doesn’t mean you are obligated to date him. It means that you’re proving all those silly people wrong: men and women most certainly can be JUST friends.  And best friends at that! If you have a go-to guy best friend, you are one lucky girl. Don’t screw it up!

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com