This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

When it comes down to it, beauty products are hard. There are so many ingredients, so many intended results, and so many different brands that walking down the beauty care aisle can be overwhelming. Not knowing what works best can be especially challenging in the winter time as cold weather wreaks havoc on our skin, lips, and hair.

While there are plenty of seasonal cosmetic options at the local grocery store or beauty retailer, using beauty products with all natural ingredients guarantees that you get exactly what you need without any harmful chemicals or ingredients. Knowing some quick and simple natural remedies for this upcoming freeze will be beneficial for both your daily beauty regimen and your wallet.

Natural Moisturizer Recipe

The key to every natural winter cosmetic bag is a good moisturizer. Coconut oil is a great moisturizer that also contains antifungal, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties. Paired with Vitamin E oil, the two ingredients combine to create a moisture-retaining solution that decreases the appearance of wrinkles and reduces scar tissue and acne blemishes. Adding an essential oil like lavender, rose, jasmine, or mint adds a soothing scent to your product, and allows you to personalize your beauty regimen.

Ingredients and Directions:

• 1/2 cup coconut oil
  • 1 teaspoon vitamin E oil
  • 12 drops of essential oil
  • Melt the coconut oil by placing the jar in warm water, then simply mix together the ingredients and allow to set.

All Natural Sugar Scrub

Winter air tends to result in unhealthy chapped lips, producing dry, dead skin. A simple fix for this is to buy lip balms and chap-sticks to replenish some of the moisture lost in the cold winter months. A better solution (and a sweeter one) is to make your own all natural sugar lip scrub. Not only does this scrub appeal to your sweet tooth, but it also repairs dry, cracked lips, while preventing future damage.

Ingredients and Directions:

• 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons of honey
  • 1 drop of vanilla extract
  • Mix ingredients together until desired consistency is reached and apply to lips for a sweet, replenishing exfoliation.

DIY Natural Hair Mask

Come wintertime, our hair is usually the first thing to go. Dry, split ends and unruly locks are a perpetual problem made worse by colder weather. Fortunately, this is easy to fix without breaking the bank. As mentioned above, coconut oil is a great moisturizer. When applied to hair, it replenishes lost moisture, increases hair strength, and adds a bit of healthy shine. Adding some of this mask to your hair in the winter time can help combat the bad effects of cold weather, keeping your hair healthy and strong.

Ingredients and Directions:

• 1/4 cup of coconut oil
  • Apply evenly to your hair, starting at the bottom of your tips and working your way up. Avoid applying the coconut oil to your scalp. Wrap hair in a towel and let the oil sit for an hour. Afterward, shower and wash hair normally, making sure to wash out all of the remaining oil. Style as usual. 
Katherine Anna Wagner - Bucknell University - PA - "have courage and be kind"