In Defense of the Juicy Tracksuit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

At the start of the New Year, Vogue unearthed the pastel pink elephant in the room by posing the question “Is it Time to Bring Back the Juicy Couture Velour Tracksuit?” In response, American millennial women nodded their heads, pulled off their Lulu Lemon leggings and said, “It’s been too long!”

Luxury athletic and leisurewear has become a staple in modern fashion. Kanye West’s Yeezy Boost 350s sold out online last year. J. Crew Collection’s cashmere sweatpants sell for $300 a pair. Last fall, Derek Lam 10 Crosby and Athleta collaborated to create an exclusive fitness label. If there is a clear demand for chic comfort wear in the millennial market, then where has all the Juicy gone?

“No brand before or after it captured the zeitgeist quite like Juicy Couture,” notes Business of Fashion. But in October of 2013, a floundering Juicy was sold to Authentic Brands Group, a licensing company, for just $195 million – just a quarter of the brand’s average annual revenue. Soon after, Authentic Brands Group made a deal with Kohl’s to sell the tracksuit at a discounted price in the fall of 2014. While the brand has been making significant strides on the runway – its Fall 2015 Ready-to-Wear collection caught Vogue editors’ eyes ­– we can’t seem to move past the brand’s bedazzled track pants and shimmery “J” zippers.

Although the void in our sweat gear that velour once filled has since been replaced by more popular alternatives like cashmere and cotton, I’m calling for a reincarnation of our beloved tracksuits. In middle school, the full tracksuit was an icon of femininity – no, feminism. We didn’t care if boys thought our loose fitting, zipped-up, “Juicy” branded sweats were ugly. We didn’t care what kind of messy we looked like when we tucked our velour pants into chestnut Uggs (but that’s a different story). If college women choose to wear androgynous groutfits to 8 AMs and baseball hats to Sunday sit-ins in the library, can’t we find space for Juicy tracksuits, too?

The solution isn’t that simple, but we can find a way to blend modern trends with the vintage sweat suit. Vogue recommends pairing funky sandals and fashion sneakers, and even snow boots with your vintage tracksuit. Juicy’s velour pants also make for a great Friday morning hangover staple when accessorized with a chunky knit sweater and parka. Whether you’re looking for a casual look for class or a comfortable outfit for weekend lounging, Juicy tracksuits are a go-to.

via Vogue

Should Juicy tracksuits make a comeback? Comment below!