Common: What You Need to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Lonnie Rashid Lynn, better known by his stage name Common, is an American hip-hop artist and actor from Chicago, Illinois. Common debuted his first album “Can I Borrow a Dollar?” in 1992 and has since maintained a large underground following. Although Common has won two Grammy awards (Best R&B Song in 2003 and Best Rap Performance in 2008), and a Golden Globe award for Best Original Song in 2015, many people still don’t know who he is. However, since winning an Academy Award this February, Common is now becoming a household name.  

Since his big Oscar win, Common’s life has certainly changed, earning him world-class recognition and new fans. At the Academy Awards, he performed his award winning “Glory” (featured in the movie “Selma”) alongside John Legend and had the room in tears, including “Selma” star David Oyelowo. “Selma” is based on the 1965 Selma march for voting rights led by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

In regard to his big win, Common says, “It’s a wonderful feeling because I always dreamed of being heard by the world and being recognized as an artist by the world … To have the platform, and for it to be the Oscars, is the greatest level of achievement.”

However, Common is not just an artist. The ex-vegan, now a self-proclaimed pescatarian, is also a supporter of animal rights and PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals). He appeared in a print advertisement for PETA titled “Think Before You Eat.”

However, Common’s PETA advertisement wasn’t his first time in front of the camera. In 2006, Common modeled for The Gap’s fall season collection and later performed in their holiday-themed commercial. Additionally, Common appeared in an advertisement for Microsoft and Diesel, and his song was featured in a commercial for BlackBerry.

Although the 43-year-old artist is very accomplished, he is far from reaching his career goals, as he hopes to continue acting, and later take on the big stage on Broadway. Most recently, Common has been promoting his upcoming movie “Run All Night” in which he plays the bad guy, as well as touring college campuses like Bucknell, hoping to inspire college students to explore themselves and find their true and unique voice. The ladies of Her Campus Bucknell can’t wait for Common to visit on March 24! 

To listen to his award winning song “Glory”, click the YouTube link below:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUZOKvYcx_o

Read More Around the Web:

·      https://allhiphop.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/common2.jpg

·      http://www.dylanratigan.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Common-Hell-On-Wheels-TV-Show.jpg

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com