Campus Profile: Kara Follosco

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Kara Follosco is a sophomore from New York City and is studying Early Childhood Education. This past summer Kara was an Orientation Assistant for the first-years of 2021. She recently just earned the position as Assistant Orientation Coordinator for the summer of 2018 and Orientation Coordinator for the summer of 2019!  

What does your job as AOC entail?

AOC stands for Assistant Orientation Coordinator. Basically, my job is to learn how to be Orientation Coordinator for the next year. I’ll spend this year watching my amazing OC, Owen Parent, program and execute Orientation. I also assist him with whatever he needs, whether that be throughout the application process (for Orientation Leaders and Orientation Assistants), or events during Orientation itself.

What are your expectations going into your job as AOC?

Orientation as an OA was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I met so many amazing people, I learned so much about myself, and I had the most fun I’ve ever had at Bucknell so far. Going forward in this position I want to continue this wonderful journey. The idea that my actions are going to impact hundreds of people feels really rewarding. I want all of the future OL’s and OA’s to have just as an impactful experience as me — I want them to find their inner confidence and sparkle. Overall, I can’t wait to see Orientation come together from start to finish.

What are you most looking forward to?

Right now, I am most looking forward to assembling an amazing team of OL’s. I think the OL’s for me, during my time as an OA, made my Orientation experience that much better, and I can’t wait to find a group of people who can do that for the next Orientation generation.

Favorite memory as an OA?

My Orientation would not have been half as special without my O-partner, Charlie Greenwood. My favorite memory has to be the Friday morning of Orientation. We blasted the song “Friday” by Rebecca Black at 8 in the morning on our hall to wake all of our kids up. They were not pleased with us, but we were dancing and having a blast. Besides those moments with him, my favorite memory is definitely just meeting my kids. Charlie and I went in wanting to make a lasting connection with them — and I think we did that. Even now, hearing them call us mom and dad makes me smile. They are all so special to me in their own way, even if they don’t know it.

What is some advice you could give to future OAs?

Immerse yourself in Orientation. Orientation is one of the few times in your life where every single person in the room wants to be there. Be open to new people, challenge your beliefs, and challenge yourself. I thought of myself as on the shyer side in the beginning of the process, but by the end I felt so outgoing and open. If you buy into Orientation, you will reap the rewards.

Jenna Kline- PR/Event Intern/Sorority Representative Jenna is a sophomore majoring in Public Relations and minoring in business and leadership. She is the PR/Event Intern as well as the Alpha Epsilon Phi Sorority Representative for Her Campus UFL. She is very excited and enthusiastic about being involved with this organization as this is her first year working with Her Campus UFL. She is also a sister of Alpha Epsilon Phi, and she is involved with Student Government Productions. She loves to spend time with her family, play basketball, hang out with her sorority sisters, cheer on the Gators, and be a dedicated Miami Heat fan.
Olivia is a junior writer and VP Tech for Her Campus Bucknell. She loves being on the Her Campus team because it's a unique platform for college women to support one another. Outside of Her Campus, Olivia is obsessed with her Westie, a lover of all things coral, and a muffin fanatic.