Campus Profile: Dylan Yuska

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

1.    Tell us a little bit about yourself.

I’ve always been a curious, ambitious, and fun-loving kid. I read a lot; all-time favorite will always be Calvin and Hobbes. I travel when I can; I’ve been to 10 countries and will be doing a US road trip post-grad. I love learning and trying new things. I consistently have about 10 tabs open in my phone with articles waiting to be read. I picked up Italian in college then did a full-immersion semester in a small, Italian city. I’ve also played a half-dozen sports including football and rugby, so I think my body is about ready for retirement golf.  

2.    What is Vega? What inspired the app?

Vega is an iPhone app that shows you what’s happening around you. It’s completely democratized, meaning it’s run by and for communities. Anyone within your geographic area can share and discover events, specials, and deals on the feed and see how many other people are interested in those same events. Chris came up with the app last year, but its significance has resonated with us all. The app was inspired by how bad communities currently are at communicating (try saying that 10 times fast). In the year 2016, we still waste time, money, and paper on fliers. This baffles me! Facebook is ineffective too. It only reaches a limited number of people and it can’t match the range of events that Vega offers. There needed to be a better way to bring it all together… and Vega was born.

3.    How will Vega change Bucknell’s social scene in the future?

Vega makes event information easy to discover. If you log on right now, I guarantee you’ll find at least a dozen interesting things you never even knew existed. It’s amazing how much we were missing out on! The whole community is now at your fingertips. Groups, clubs, and businesses can stop wasting their time and effort advertising in five different ways. I already have people telling me that they didn’t know half of the stuff that he or she found on Vega, so it seems like it is already changing the social scene. The best part is: the more people that use it, the more useful it becomes (so give it a shot).

4.    What resources do you recommend on and off campus for other Bucknell entrepreneurs?

The Venture Capital Club is a good place to start. There are a lot of inspired folks in it. Besides the SBDC, Bucknell makes it impossible to use their resources and space legally, so this makes marketing a lot more difficult (hint, hint, Bucknell).

5.    What has been the most rewarding thing about launching Vega? The most challenging? It’s risky and it’s challenging, and I like both of those things. Matt, Chris, and I must wear many different hats in many different situations, so we’re always staying on our toes. There are definitely no guarantees, but the possibilities are endless. Both are pretty exciting feelings. I’ve also made two great friends in the process (Chris Shadek and Matt Bresnahan). We’ve had a lot of late nights and bumps in the road, but we’ve made it this far! The most challenging part is trying to carve out enough time. Between classes, Rugby, Vega, and an attempt at a social life- it becomes a lot.

6.    Where will Vega be in 5 years?

I could naively say “Vega will be EVERYWHERE in 5 years!” but honestly, I have no clue. I know, however, that we have a solid team, a solid plan, and a solid app. We’ll be ready to take on whatever the next 5 years bring.

Fast Facts:

1.    Favorite spot on campus: The Rugby pitch. It’s a special moment to be up there overlooking campus on a cool, fall evening with the sun setting and the song playing from Rooke Chapel at 5:32. It sounds pretty lame, but my Rugby guys share that feeling.

2.    Campus posse: Vega team, Rugby squad, and Kappa Sig

3.    Freez or Sweet Frog? Freez, not even close.

4.    Little known fact: I come from a very Italian background- I speak fluently, I can chef-up some mean dishes, and I have a crazy Italian family.

Find Vega Connected on the App Store. Interesting in bringing Vega to a community near you? Email Dylan at info@vegaconnected.com or visit vegaconnected.com