Campus Celeb: Brett Walter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

You’ve probably seen Brett around campus rocking his new red highlights, telling you to apply for OA or giving amazing campus tours to potential Bucknellians. Brett has been working SO hard as the Oriention Coordinator for this upcoming fall, and we want to recognize him for it! Be sure to keep reading to see how Brett navigates the open space of Orientation.

1. How did you first get involved with Orientation? 

I got involved with orientation at the end of my first year on campus when I applied to be an OA.  I was in awe of these spirited people in orange shirts, and I wanted to do my part in helping our new students transition easily into college.  Once I experienced how magical the program was from the inside, I knew I had to do everything I could to keep it that way, so I applied to be a coordinator.

2. How is this group different from other organizations on campus? 

I’ve never become friends with some many people so quickly as I did through the orientation program.  My o-babies, my core group, and both of my OL staffs are some of my closest friends on this campus.  The people involved never fail to bring a smile to my face and are always around to lend a shoulder.  Our difference is that we’re a family.

3. What can the incoming freshmen expect for Orientation in the fall?

The incoming first years can expect the best orientation program yet.  With each year, we’re always looking to make small improvements based on feedback from previous OAs and their first year halls.  As always, they can expect to be covered in a lot of paint, hear the great Maura Cullen, and to make a lot of new friends.

4. How will this experience shape your future after college?

If anything, anything this experience has put a wrench in the future I had planned for myself.  I was set on a career in the field of animal science, but now who knows.  I’ve been fortunate to work in the office of student affairs here on campus for two years now, so maybe that’s not completely out of the question.  Either way, I know I will be able to bring a new level of confidence and leadership to whatever career I choose, thanks to this program.

5. How has your experience as an OC shaped who you are today?

My experience as OC has done nothing but improve my life and who I am.  I feel so much more sure of myself in my everyday decisions and in my leadership capabilities.  I’ve learned to (more gracefully) take constructive criticism, to listen to others, and to utilize my creativity in practical ways.  One of the most important things this experience has taught me is that everyone has a story.  When interacting with others, kindness is my first instinct, because you never know what’s going on in someone’s life and a simple smile can make all the difference.

6. If you had to pick between a bison, a flannel, a fried Oreo, and a toothbrush, which would you choose and why?

All school spirit, hygiene, and utilitarian comfort aside, I would choose a fried Oreo hands-down.  Anyone one who has tasted one needs no further explanation.  An Oreo is simply the best desert cookie in the world, and a funnel cake is by far the tastiest confection to come out of a fryer, so putting them together, in my opinion, deserves a Nobel Prize.

7. Favorite Freez flavor

Every time: banana pudding freez with fudge in the hole.

8. Biggest Fear in life

My biggest fear in life always was, and always will be, letting people down.  I can’t stand the thought of not living up to someone’s expectations, including my own expectations of myself.  Clowns aren’t great either.

Devin is a sophomore at Bucknell University. She is intending to be a Markets, Innovation and Design major in the School of Management, and is also pursuing a minor in Creative Writing. She can be found giving tours around campus, doing homework on the quad, or dancing in her apartment with her friends. Devin also writes for the HC Bucknell chapter, and loves all things Her Campus! Outside of school and HC, she enjoys playing sports, reading, singing, and trying new foods. In fact, her life motto is "eat dessert first." Devin is very excited to be the Management Intern at HC headquarters in Boston this summer!