Bucknell: Now and Then

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Stepping onto Bucknell’s campus 4 years ago, the excitement sets in as one looks out at the quad, thinking about all the memories to be made at such a picturesque university.  4 years later and things have changed at Bucknell. Not necessarily for good or for bad, but in a period of transition, it is sometimes difficult to see the overall benefits and drawbacks of what current changes will mean in years to come. Seniors are especially nostalgic as they think back at their first year on campus. Since 2012 the appearance of the campus is one of the biggest changes that has been made. Old buildings have been destroyed, and new buildings have popped up. While this change has contributed to the majority of people’s opinions, it is not the only thing that has defined the changing campus. In addition to the physical modifications, the mentality of Bucknell is changing too. As one senior put it, “In general I think Bucknell is moving to be a more inclusive and socially responsible institution, which I definitely support, but we are not there yet.” As we get older, we see more. This undoubtedly gives us another perspective that younger students may not see. The current seniors have witnessed the majority of the changes recently made to Bucknell and they had a lot to say about their beloved home for the last four years.

Starting with the good stuff, senior Bucknellians love Bucknell for very similar reasons. Overall the mentality can be summed up with, “The perfect balance of smart and fun” or as another student puts it, “we work hard, and play hard.” The Bucknell community, friendships that have formed, the professors and the “Super Saturday” social scene, have been rated as some of the top favorite things at Bucknell.

While majority of students agree on what makes Bucknell great, several students tend to disagree when asked if they are happy with the way Bucknell is changing. Some seniors are willing to admit that at first they were “unsettled with the changes, like it wasn’t the way things were supposed to be.” Yet, after thinking about the changes more and experiencing them at the beginning of this year, the same student says, “taking a step back, a lot of the changes the administration is making are for our safety and overall wellbeing, and that is a good thing.” Other students disagree saying students appear to be getting less freedom and responsibilities, which will hurt them in the real world. Finally, another young woman mentions that Bucknell seems to be drawing more diverse, international students, which have brought new perspectives to campus, something that is greatly needed. But it’s not 100% yet.

The biggest change by far to the Bucknell community has been housing, and after polling people from downtown houses, the new south campus apartments, and the gateways, it is evident that the topic of housing is a sore subject. Still, even with shiny, new apartments, opinions are strong. “It’s just disappointing,” says one student. “I can vividly remember walking downtown freshman year seeing seniors sitting on porches, laughing and having a good time with friends. I was looking forward to that, and it didn’t happen,” remarks one senior. The biggest consensus on why seniors are unhappy with the living situation is a divided campus. Overwhelming students were upset with the lack of a senior community, lamenting that they “never get to see their friends that live uphill” or vice versa.

Majority of seniors feel that a downtown culture would’ve been more important than a senior living culture on campus, as they argue it is more similar to real life. Additionally, the shift in student on campus has caused a downtown party scene to dwindle. “I feel like I don’t see as many students on the downtown streets, at night, and during the day” says one student. Not surprisingly, majority of seniors, while knowing the potential danger for such an event, wish House Party Weekend was what it had been their freshman year. Although wishful thinking, they do understand it was too much of a liability. Seniors also agree that the hook-up culture and extreme excessive drinking are two aspects of Bucknell they wish would change or fade out in the upcoming years.

Ultimately seniors feel that there are things that will always make Bucknell great, but there are things that still need work. In the meantime, seniors make the most of the divided living, and enjoy every last moment of their senior year. At the end of the day, the quad is still the picturesque quad we all fell in love, and making every moment count is what matters most.

Sources:

Photos from Bucknell.edu and campusvinyl.com 

What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.