A Breakup Letter to Pants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Dearest Pants,

We think it’s time you give us a little bit of space. You’ve been so reliable these past few months. You’ve kept our legs warm, our butts looking cute, and most importantly, you protected us from the evil that is the bitter Lewisburg windchill. We truly appreciate all you have done for us, but we think it’s time for us to take a break. Please don’t think we’ve taken you for granted, and make no mistake in thinking we’ll forget about you.  It’s just time we go our separate ways, even if it’s only for a little while. Honestly, we just need to take a bit of a breather; at least, our calves do.

It’s safe to say spring has finally sprung. Cherry blossoms are in full bloom and the quad has returned from its eternal state of blinding white snow cover to the lush, green grass we know and love.  Even if it means our springtime allergies are giving us a run for our money, the sun is finally shining, the weather has risen above 50 degrees, and it’s about time we swapped our favorite winter sweats for our favorite sundress. It’s finally time to expose our legs to the breeze and give them some sun. After all it’s about time we let our legs run free, don’t you think? We need some time to get to know them again. It’s been so long since we’ve seen our knees that we think we’ve begun to forget where they came from, we don’t even recognize them anymore!

We know this might come as a shock, and we’re sorry we had to tell you this way, but you should know that this has nothing to do with anything you could’ve done wrong. It’s not you, it’s us, you know? We just need a little bit of space. A couple months should do, not much longer than that. We promise. Come October, we will be back and ready for more of your ankle grazing, low-rise goodness. But for now, it’s time for us to go our separate ways.

This isn’t goodbye forever, it’s just goodbye for now.

P.S. Dear shaving our legs, we are so not excited to deal with you again.

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com