Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Bucknell Blog

Need Some Cash?

By Kaitlin Ulker
September 30, 2014 - 12:00pm

Even though Bucknell is nowhere near a big city with the cutest shops and impeccable eateries, we all know that we end up spending a little more money than we would have anticipated while we’re here. Whether it’s at Wal-Mart, buying a variety of accessories and clothing for a themed party or eating out at Sushihana with a bottle of wine, it all adds up. If you have a lot of time on your hands, I am happy to tell you that there are actually various jobs held on and off campus that do just the trick for that bit of spending money. Let me walk you through some of these opportunities: Samek Art Galley READ MORE

An Open Letter to a Freshman Girl

By Amanda Relick
September 27, 2014 - 12:00pm

Dear Freshman Girl, READ MORE

The Chinese Invasion

By Louise Peterson
September 26, 2014 - 12:00pm

Remember that ’60s phenomenon you learned about in school called the “British Invasion”? Rock and pop from the UK flooded the United States’ music scene, resulting in a fashion frenzy of British style. Now, in 2014, a global fascination with all things China is extending to the US. As the Asian market becomes increasingly more important to the business of fashion, top designers, models, consumers, and businesses are adapting the elegant Asian-inspired trend. READ MORE

The Ultimate Guide to Parent’s Weekend

By Kate Jansen
September 25, 2014 - 12:00pm

“So, what do you want to do over Parent’s Weekend?” As a junior, this is not the first time my mom’s asked me this open-ended question: And as a junior, this is not the first time I’ve had to answer with the usual “I have no idea…[insert subject change].” READ MORE

What We Learned from Jane Goodall

By Jen Lassen
September 22, 2014 - 1:00am

Recently, we had the honor of hearing Jane Goodall, in the flesh, give a talk at our University. Absolutely. Incredible. I don’t even know how I’m able to put this experience into words right now…! Dr. Goodall, an outstandingly accomplished, absolutely remarkable, superbly intelligent woman of 80 years old (rather, 80 years of profound wisdom) has impacted the way we understand ourselves; how we interact with our environment; and why we should start thinking critically about our future. She is the ultimate role model: smart, poised, humble, passionate, funny, and makes admirable, impactful improvements to the world around her. READ MORE

Links We Love

By Elizabeth Bacharach
September 21, 2014 - 6:22pm

If PETA pumpkin eaters are your thing, this calendar’s for you. We’ll have a Double Venti Half-Soy Nonfat Organic Chocolate Brownie Iced Vanilla Double-Shot Gingerbread Extra Hot With Foam Whipped Cream Upside Down Double Blended, One Sweet'N Low and One Nutrasweet Frappuccino.  And make it a mini. READ MORE

#YesIDidEatThat: The Art of Eating Your Way Through Instagram

By Blair Francke
September 20, 2014 - 12:00pm

Imagine this. You’re out to eat at your favorite Italian restaurant with your friends. Your waiter approaches you, holding the most perfect looking margarita pizza in his hand. He sets this flawlessly crafted pizza in front of you. The crust is golden brown, the redness of the tomatoes and sauce is bright and smooth, and the buffalo mozzarella cheese is melted to perfection, scattered throughout the pizza. With a presentation such as this one placed right in your face, what is your first instinct? Not to immediately grab the first slice, but naturally to take a picture, add a filter, and post it on Instagram for the rest of your friends to drool over (p.s. this is was not just a scenario and I have the picture below to prove it)....

An Ode to Joan Rivers

By Julia Tompkins
September 15, 2014 - 12:00pm

On September 4, 2014 countless 20-somethings all around the world lost their rogue and outspoken voice. Joan Rivers was that voice for many of us. Joan always blurted out what we were always thinking but we were too reserved to articulate. Commonly known for her harsh (but hilarious) critiques on her show Fashion Police, Joan Rivers was always able to come out and give the rudest (but true) commentary about celebrities and what they wore. Comedian, producer, writer, television host, fashion critic, actress extraordinaire, Joan made the most out of her 81 years on this planet. READ MORE

Rise and Reaction to Sigma Chi's Mansion Madness

By Gabby DeRosa
September 15, 2014 - 12:00pm

Current dialogue concerning sexual assault has been extremely relevant and ever increasing at Bucknell and in society at large. The issue is finally gaining the recognition it deserves, with the goal of long-term meaningful solutions involved. On Thursday, September 11, 2014 a petition letter was written and sent out by a number of Bucknell students and faculty who had something to say about sexual assault and Bucknell. They were writing a letter on the grounds of being concerned about Sigma Chi fraternity’s register theme that was planned for Saturday, September 13, 2014. The theme was called “A Night at the Mansion,” an annual reoccurring theme for Sigma Chi’s first register of the season....

Must Have Bags for Back-to-School

By Olivia Malvisi
August 15, 2014 - 12:00pm

The first day of classes is quickly approaching, which means the anxiety over what to wear on that first day is quickly rising.  If you are looking to make a great first impression (new year, new you?) then there is no better place to start than with your school bag.  Your bag can make or break your outfit.  Whether you prefer a backpack or over-the-shoulder, having the perfect bag is crucial.  In an effort to help you break the “Bucknell uniform” rule of a black North Face backpack or Longchamp, we have compiled a list of bags that will not only make you stand out on the first day but will ensure you make a statement all year long.
  READ MORE