Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Bucknell Blog

Five Steps to Dealing with Change

By Jen Lassen
April 23, 2014 - 4:17pm

Change: a five-letter word that symbolizes the inevitable. As I sit here and think about change, I realize that I’m different than I was five years ago, last year, last month, and even two days ago. We change and experience new things all the time; change will never stop. However, sometimes it’s difficult for us to handle these new beginnings, transitions, hellos, and goodbyes. We’re expected to suddenly adapt to different circumstances just because they happen; and oftentimes, we don’t receive a fair warning or the thorough explanation we want. When your world suddenly starts to shift, follow these five steps to genuinely embrace change and find happiness from the chaos. READ MORE

Defining and Defying the Term “Basic Bitch” at Bucknell

By Julia Tompkins
April 20, 2014 - 11:55am

*Disclaimer: Information used to exemplify what some students consider “basic” at Bucknell was taken from random and anonymous interviewees. Information/opinions in this article do not express my own personal opinions unless explicitly stated. * If you Google “basic bitch” some of the results read: “10 tips to avoid dressing like a basic bitch,” “the basic bitch’s guide to Coachella,” “Starbucks must haves for the basic bitch.” So what does it mean to be a basic bitch? READ MORE

Why our obsession with healthy is actually unhealthy

By Julia Tompkins
April 19, 2014 - 12:00pm

Recently, there seems to be a new wave of body image aspirations among young women. We’ve transitioned from agreeing with Kate Moss’s iconic phrase of “nothing tastes as good as skinny feels”, idolizing the fragile looking figures, to adopting a new mindset. More recently, young women are starting to honor the “strong is the new skinny” mantra.  READ MORE

#WCW The Inspirational Malala Yousafzai

By Louise Peterson
April 18, 2014 - 11:00am

READ MORE

The Art of Failure

By Molly Davis
April 16, 2014 - 11:00am

READ MORE

Mindy²: How Lahiri & Kaling are redefining “Dream Team”

By Sara Chuirazzi
April 12, 2014 - 12:00pm

*FYI: this article contains spoilers! READ MORE

Drunkorexia

By Blair Francke
April 11, 2014 - 12:00pm

The high prevalence of eating disorders among young women today is continually growing. Anorexia and bulimia seem to be the two most common and talked about eating disorders. Both conditions are triggered by an obsessive fear of gaining weight. But with all the new diet trends today, girls are finding new ways to lose weight in an unhealthy manner other than anorexia and bulimia. So, have you heard of drunkorexia? This is a new phenomenon to me. Drunkorexia is not a medical term, but a slang expression used to describe another eating disorder. Drunkorexia happens when a person has the habit of restricting food calories to make room for alcoholic drink calories. Studies have shown that approximately 30% of women between the ages of 18-23 diet just so they...

Ode to Yik Yak

By Jen Lassen
April 10, 2014 - 12:00pm

Dear Yik Yak Creators, Anonymity can be a beautiful thing.  We have the freedom of speech for a reason, so why not use it to its fullest capacity? With the creation of this new application, we are able to express what’s on our mind about the world around us, in 200 characters or less, without any repercussions. How liberating…until someone gets hurt. READ MORE

Superfoods to the Rescue: Easy Recipes

By Caroline Cutler
April 8, 2014 - 12:00pm

*Bolded ingredients indicate ‘Superfood’ status*   Breakfast
Super Kale Smoothie: Ingredients:
1-cup spinach
1-cup kale
1/3-cup celery
5 frozen pineapple chunks
½ banana
¼-cup coconut water
1 T chia seeds Directions
1. Combine the spinach, kale, celery, pineapple, banana, coconut water, and chia seeds in a blender and puree until smooth.
2. Add an extra splash of coconut water, depending on your desired consistency. READ MORE

Spring Cleaning: The Collegiate Edition

By Amanda Carlson
April 7, 2014 - 12:00pm

We’ve officially hit the April mark, which means that the school year is slowly, but surely, coming to a close.  And with the sun finally making an appearance here and there, college students are soaking in the sun and celebrating the coming of spring by gathering on the quad, eating meals outside, wearing sundresses, and enjoying the walk to class. However, with all good things that come with spring, it’s important to remember that it’s time to sift through our closets and rooms for spring-cleaning. READ MORE