Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Bucknell Blog

8 Reasons Bucknell Homecoming is Unique to Any Other School

By Blair Francke
October 29, 2014 - 11:21pm

You can almost always guarantee cloudy, chilly weather with a chance of rain (classic Lewisburg)
You fear for the return and the awkward reunion with your old hook-up…
READ MORE

Tailgating in the ’Burg

By Loren Jablon
October 29, 2014 - 6:43pm

Most college football fans agree that the sport is rooted in tradition. From Penn State’s White Out to Ohio State’s dotting of the “i” to Auburn’s Toomer’s Corner, football helps establish school spirit and pride on college campuses. Loyal fans argue that this sense of community is strengthened and enhanced by pregame tailgating scenes. In a 2011 study on college tailgating, University of Notre Dame cultural anthropologist John Sherry found that tailgating “is more about sharing than it is about competition.” From his research, Sherry concluded that “the individual traditions that [fans] are creating add to the larger tradition.” READ MORE

What Does Your Phone Case Say About You?

By Kate Osman
October 29, 2014 - 12:00pm

In a world where our phones are pretty much considered the equivalent to lifelines (if you didn’t like your best friend’s insta of her food…did she really eat?!), the next most important decision after choosing what type of phone is fit to hold your life in it is what type of case should protect it. With all the different types of phone cases available, though, your choice of case says more about you than you may realize: READ MORE

A College Gal’s Guide To Pumpkin Carving

By Courtney Buckworth, Margaret Hilton
October 28, 2014 - 10:14pm

There are many things to love about the month of October. The pumpkin-spice lattes, the fact that we get to wear vests again, Instagramming fall leaves, and Halloween. As we grow old and enter college, certain Halloween traditions no doubt fade away, but one that we never get tired of is carving pumpkins.  The art of carving pumpkins is a form of self-expression and savvy porch decor.  If your carving technique is a little sloppy and you find yourself having to explain what exactly your pumpkin is, as Karen would explain her costume, “I’m a mouse, duh,” THIS is the year to step up your game. Let’s start with how to select the perfect pumpkin. READ MORE

The Era of the Pumpkin Spice Latte

By Amanda Carlson
October 28, 2014 - 12:00pm

Basics love them, moms carve them, and the pilgrims couldn’t have celebrated Thanksgiving without them: pumpkins. Sweater weather has arrived, and that means no one can escape from being pumpkinized. At this time of year, it’s hard to go anywhere without being bombarded by the abundance of pumpkin-flavored indulgences. In fact, they have become so popular that the haters have been sippin’ the haterade and refuse to embrace any and all pumpkin spice related products. Can’t everyone just see that they’re innocent little gourds? READ MORE

Top 5 Fall Treats to Try this Halloween/Homecoming Weekend

By Kate Jansen
October 27, 2014 - 12:50pm

The fall weekend we’ve all been waiting for is swiftly approaching where not one, but two major holidays are hitting the Buck. Homecoming and Halloween jam-packed into one festivity-filled weekend will most definitely bring the festivities and the necessity for sweet treats. Whether you’re entertaining alumni at your downtown house before the game, hosting a Halloween cookie swap, or planning on leaving a tray of fall treats out for your hall mates, Her Campus Bucknell has got the perfect Halloween Baking Guide to satisfy your sweet tooth this weekend.  READ MORE

Fashion Forecast: Homecoming Weekend Edition

By Jen Lassen
October 26, 2014 - 11:59pm

It’s almost Homecoming Weekend, which means it’s time to start steppin’ up your game. With alumni back in town, it’s more than okay to binge on lots of online shopping, hit Retrah and Dwellings for the latest Lewisburg fashion, and put together your best ensembles to impress those Bucknellians who have already entered “the real world.” But believe me…they’ll be happy to see you, you’ll be happy to see them, and it’ll be a weekend full of fun and revelry that always requires being best-dressed. Here’s a look at the weather ahead for Homecoming Weekend, and what you should wear to make a lasting impression: SATURDAY, NOV. 1: High of 57 degrees with a potential for showers in the afternoon....

What to Sip and What to Ditch: Healthy Starbucks Alternatives

By Kaitlin Ulker
October 26, 2014 - 12:00pm

We all love sipping on different coffee beverages, but it is quite concerning when you realize how many calories are actually in your drink. Some of our most popular drinks from Starbucks and other coffee shops end up being to around 700 calories! Not all coffee drinks are necessarily bad to drink, but there are so many different healthy alternatives that do just the trick for you. Instead of giving you a list of all the drinks that are bad for you, here is a list of drinks that are 200 calories or less : Warm Drinks (Tall): READ MORE

What It Means to be a Fall Girl

By Jen Lassen
October 25, 2014 - 12:00pm

Recently, one of my guy friends said to me, “You’re a Fall Girl, aren’t you?” Caught off guard, I replied with a confused “What do you mean?!” He then explained, “Well, your sweater game is on point right now,” referring to my bright pink, super cozy ensemble. Thanks for noticing, dude. Since then, I’ve thought about what it means to be a “Fall Girl”. As silly as it sounds, there are marked differences between the girl described in LFO’s June 1999 hit “Summer Girls,” who like to wear Abercrombie & Fitch, and a Fall Girl. Read on: READ MORE

Why We Should Still Trick-or-Treat

By Amanda Relick
October 25, 2014 - 12:00pm

As college students, Halloween means not just one, but many nights of fun parties and dressing up in our best and most creative costumes. Long gone are the days of grabbing your pillowcase or pumpkin bucket and heading out with your best friends in search of free candy. However, while we may have adopted the “grown up” version of Halloween when we came to college, there is still something to miss about those innocent days of trick-or-treating.   READ MORE