Benefits of Going Abroad in the Fall vs. Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

The preparations for going abroad can be tough, especially if you are unable to go in the semester that you want, or if you are simple unsure of the costs and benefits of going abroad in the fall vs. going abroad in the spring. Going abroad in general is an amazing opportunity in itself; however, it is good to know about the differences.

Here are the benefits of going abroad in the fall:

Weather in most places is nicer in the fall.

The weather abroad (where most Bucknellians go to) in the fall tends to be much nicer and warmer during this time. In fact, this allows you to hit up all the nicest beaches in some of the most beautiful places. In Europe, you would get to experience three different seasons!

Pictured: Julia Goldman, Granada Spain (’15)

Oktoberfest.

Oktoberfest is the world’s largest funfair held every year in Munich, Germany. It is a festival that lasts 16 days from late September till the first weekend in October. This is one of the greatest advantages of going abroad in the fall. If most of your other friends from different colleges are going abroad in the fall as well, this is a great opportunity to meet up with them.

Pictured: Bucknell’s very own Paige Brennan (’16) and Laura Yoo (’16) dressed up at Oktoberfest.

Experience abroad during the holidays.

Even though you miss part of the holiday season when you are abroad, you get to experience the preparations for the holidays while you are in a different country, which is such a remarkable and different experience.

Pictured: Jessica Gibbs (’16) and Hadley Hall (’16)

Coming back to Bucknell instead of leaving Bucknell

Sometimes it can be a little weird when you are at Bucknell for the fall only to realize that you will no longer be at the campus next semester. It can get a little tough; because you are just waiting till the moment it is time to get on the plane. However, when you are going abroad in the fall, you do not really experience those weird feelings of leaving Bucknells campus, instead, you get to come back from the wonderful experience you’ve had, and stay for the next three semesters.  

Internships

Since most people go abroad junior year, it is usually the time to apply to internships. The good thing about going abroad in the fall is that you do not have to stress about applying and skype- interviewing for internships while you are abroad. You get to enjoy your experience stress free!

Graduation

Going abroad in the fall allows you to say goodbye to your favorite seniors, or even attend their graduation, which is usually held at the end of May. You get to spend their last and best semester with them.

Here are the benefits of going abroad in the spring:

Bucknell in the Fall

Being at bucknell in the fall has many advantages. You get to experience the excitement of going back to school again, seeing all of your friends that you have not seen from the beginning of the summer, and enjoying Bucknell in the hot weather. If you belong to a Greek organization, you get to be part of the most exciting time of the year for your sorority, where you get new members. We all know how much Bucknell loves welcome night.

Home for the Holidays

Going abroad in the spring allows you to be home during the happiest holidays of the year. Most importantly, you get to spend thanksgiving with you family eating home-cooked meals.

Missing Bucknell’s Cold Weather

We all know how miserable it gets over here in Lewisburg during the winter, but when you go abroad during the spring you leave just in time, and get to miss all of that cold icy weather.

Pictured: Bridget McCusker, (’15) Jardin des Tuileries, France

Abroad, then Summer

Going abroad over in the spring makes it’s easier for people to come visit you! Your family can come over the summer as soon as your program is about to end and you can make your abroad experience even longer and better. 

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com