This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Everyone knows that Amy Poehler is smart, funny, and downright awesome, but did you know that she’s also one of the cofounders of “Smart Girls at the Party”? This online movement focuses on teaching “young girls and those young at heart” to “change the world by being yourself” and to enjoy the journey that you take in finding yourself. The website states that it is a place “where you might learn about something you would like to experience. You might learn about a woman you’d like to emulate. You might learn a new perspective or an unfamiliar custom or a new way to talk to yourself about something. It is our hope that you will learn more about your truest self.” The amount of things on this website that will make you smile is unreal…trust me! 

Dance Parties are Always a Good Idea

Poehler, along with producer, Meredith Walker, and singer-songwriter, Amy Miles, host “Smart Girls at the Party” web episodes that discuss a wide range of tough topics that girls today face, but no matter how hard the questions hit, the episodes always end on a positive note…with a dance party, how perfect is that? Other video sections include “Girls of the World,” “Operation Nice,” “Boys Minute,” and even an “Ask Amy” section. There is also a weekly interview with a “Smart Girl,” who is sometimes famous and sometimes not, but is always someone who is taking initiative to change the world.

Weekly “Do Good” Campagins

Smart Girls at the Party also hosts weekly campaigns and challenges to inspire people to make their world a better place. These include posting only positive comments on social media, doing good deeds just because, and spreading the word about important causes, such as awareness about the Worldwide Orphan program and other organizations. 

Lending a Helping Hand

Smart Girls even have a Kiva team, which is an online networking platform that connects people with the common goal of alleviating poverty. Their reasoning is that no person should be denied the ability to be themselves, so this team of people lends loans and other resources to each other to help everyone reach their personal goals. So far, the team has raised over $2,000!

Get Smart

The website provides resources that allow girls to explore other cultures, learn new skills, participate in DIY and community service projects, find inspiring books to read, and watch interviews with exciting guests. There is also a section devoted to downloadable quotes, lists of nice things to do for others, bookmarks, and even a plan for hosting your own Smart Girls party.

The Importance of Female Empowerment

Websites like “A Mighty Girl,” which provides suggestions of positive movies, music, books, and other resources that encourage girls to grow up being 100% themselves (It’s really neat! Check it out at: http://www.amightygirl.com) and community programs such as “Girl Talk” and “About Girls” are so crucial to creating strong, confident, and courageous young women. Even as college women, we can find inspiration in these movements, because as volunteers, babysitters, and future parents, we have the incredible power to shape the girls of tomorrow—and there’s something so empowering in empowering other women and girls! So, maybe we grew up in the generation of “mean girls” and hurtful gossip, but it doesn’t have to be like that for girls in the future. We can be the ones to spark the change, to turn “girl world” into a safe, happy place by simply complimenting other women, being a friend to everyone, and leading our lives exactly as we want to. Let’s be role models to the younger girls we have the opportunity to know and continue to follow in the steps of Amy Poehler and other amazing women who are shining examples of what it means to be strong and uniquely ourselves!

Follow Smart Girls at the Party on social media: 

http://instagram.com/amypoehlersmartgirls

https://twitter.com/smrtgrls

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Amy-Poehlers-Smart-Girls/37203609337

http://www.pinterest.com/smrtgrls/

Sara is a current sophomore double majoring in Psychology and English with a concentration in Creative Writing. Aside from serving as the Vice President of Administration and writing for Her Campus Bucknell, she is a tour guide, holds a position in her sorority, and serves as a peer counselor at a local elementary school. Sara is an avid fan of yoga, coffee, reading, spontaneous dance parties, and anything that involves rainbow sprinkles.
Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com