Style > Beauty

“Beauty is Pain”: The Downside of Common Beauty Practices

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Waxing. Injections. Skin tight clothes. High heels. When it comes to “looking our best,” women often resort to quite painful means. And with the wave of modern feminism, many falsely claim that being feminist requires the abandonment of these common beauty practices. However, myself along with many others who consider themselves feminists, engage in some of these practices. So, why do all sorts of women put themselves through it? And is there a price to pay? (Besides the obvious monetary one).

Aside from the evident pain high heels cause our feet, podiatric surgeon Jacqueline Sutera explains, “your knees and your hips are also jutted forward and now your back, to compensate, has to hyperextend backwards. So, your whole spine is just really malaligned” (businessinsider.com). As for waxing, which is known to cause irritation, folliculitis, and the occasional burn, waxing of the nose hairs seems to be a new, agonizing trend. Actress Tracee Ellis Ross posted a video of her engaging in this torturous experience on Instagram, and she vouches to never do it again. Jen Anderson from Refinery29 writes, “One wrong move, and you could end up with a bad infection — even Dr. Oz has weighed in on the dangers of removing your nose hairs. Besides, hair is meant to act as a barrier for your nose against germs and bacteria.”

Clearly, women are engaging in painful beauty routines from head to toe. And besides the temporary pain they cause, issues can arise down the road. These include infection, body misalignment, and, according to research by the British Chiropractic Association, “many of the day-to-day clothes from pencil skirts to skinny jeans and large furry hoods can cause muscular pain, and have a long-term effect on posture, blood flow and our backs” (Dailymail.com).

Don’t get me wrong, even this frightening evidence won’t stop me from wearing my favorite heels, or getting my unruly brows done. However, it’s important to be cognizant of it, and not to get carried away. After all, how can you look your best if you’re not feeling your best? Stay comfortable, ladies.

Lexi Katz

Bucknell '20

Writer from Bucknell University