Atypical Post-Grad Cities That Aren’t NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

You finally made it!….well, almost. Talk to any senior, and thinking about post-grad life is bound to be on their mind. Where to work? What to do? And of course, where to live? The classic answer [without fail] is New York City…because “there’s nothing like New York.” But hey! There are plenty of cities to explore besides the Big Apple. Read about some of the coolest post-grad cities to call home once you turn your tassel:

1.Philadelphia, PA: Okay, so I’m a little biased, but Philly is seriously awesome. Known as the “City of Brotherly Love,” Philadelphia is home to great food, an exciting performing arts community, museums and history, green parks, and a trendy nightlife scene. Philly has it’s own vibe: from all the public art to the Penn’s Landing waterfront, it’s a vibrant city with something for everyone.

• MUST EAT: Signature Chefs Stephen Starr and Marc Vetri put Philly on the map as a foodie destination (try Parc for brunch, Dandelion for lunch, and Alla Spina for dinner). The Philadelphia Italian Market is your one-stop shop for handmade pastas, meats, fresh veggies, and cheeses.
  • MUST DO: Stroll through Rittenhouse Square, Philly’s nicest park with fabulous real estate towering above the trees, with a cappuccino on a cold afternoon; check out Chestnut Street for great shopping and unique boutiques; see a concert unlike any other at The Electric Factory or The Mann Center.
  • MUST SEE: The Liberty Bell and the National Constitution Center (for your inner history nerd); LOVE Park (for a tourist-y photo); the Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Barnes Foundation (to appreciate something); Boathouse Row lit up at night (to go “ooohh…ahhhh”).

2. Boston, MA: This charming New England metropolis feels more like a quaint neighborhood than a busy city, but in Boston, you get the best of both worlds. Feel the history of Boston as you walk through the cobblestone streets; check out the well-rounded music scene, from the infamous Boston Conservatory to free concerts in the parks; and enjoy a stroll near the water at the Boston Harbor. Oh, and don’t forget to try a real Boston kreme donut. 

• MUST EAT: Check out the Quincy Market for tons of different food stands, from seafood to sweets. Take a trip to the North End for delicious, homemade Italian food and pasteries. 
  • MUST DO: Shopping on Newbury Street; sailing on the Charles River (you can rent a boat for the day!); ice skating on the pond in Boston Commons.
  • MUST SEE: The Museum of Fine Arts (for the art geek, and to admire the extensive collection of beautiful, preserved art and artifacts); the Freedom Trail (for a stroll through Boston’s history – see the site of the Boston Massacre, the old State House, and more).

3. Washington, District of Columbia: Our nation’s capital, D.C. is becoming more popular among the post-grads of today. From the monuments to the Georgetown waterfront, there’s so many sights to see and so much to do…perfect for a twenty-something craving a city lifestyle.

• MUST EAT: Enjoy exceptional dining at VOLT for unique, flavorful dishes. Eat brunch at Malmaison in Georgetown for amazing crepes, eggs and mimosas. Try AGGIO for fresh pastas, fish and chicken dinners.
  • MUST DO: In the summer, enjoy free movies from the Screen on the Green series on the National Mall; visit Eastern Market and DuPont circle for the city’s best shopping scene; check out AfterWords Café for coffee and a quiet place to read.
  • MUST SEE: The Smithsonian Museums (for the museum nerd); the National Monuments and the White House (because…of course you have to see them); the Newseum (for the journalist and news buff…and for amazing red velvet cupcakes, apparently).

4. Seattle, WA: Although it’s not on the east coast, Seattle’s mix of cool shops, amazing restaurants, beaches and beautiful real estate make the city a must-see, must-live destination for post-grads across the country.

• MUST EAT: Enjoy Bar Sajor for organic, wholesome dishes and amazing brunch.   Try the eco-friendly Oddfellows Café + Bar for simple, clean food that’ll make you feel good eating it. For some Middle Eastern flair, try Mamnoon. Go to Pike Place Market for awesome fresh fruits, sandwiches, and baked goods (lots of vegan options, too). Try Harvest Vine for Spanish tapas in a unique atmosphere!
  • MUST DO: Take a trip to Capital Hill and visit local favorites like Elliot Bay Bookstore, Glass Wing, Analog Coffee, and Melrose Market. Take a run along Puget sound; go to the flagship Nordstrom store for an incredible shopping experience.
  • MUST SEE: Take a ferry to Bainbridge Island (for the nature lover); walk along Alkali Beach (for a beautiful view of the city).

5. Chicago, IL: Popularly known as “The Windy City,” Chicago is anything but dreary like its nickname implies. The city’s natural beauty, trendiness, and never-ending list of things to do will certainly win the hearts of post-grads looking for a change of pace.  

• MUST EAT: Dig in to some famous Chicago deep-dish pizza at Eatalyyou’ll be happy you did. Grab a gourmet burger at Au Cheval or delicious pasta at Nellcote.
  • MUST DO: Take a run along the lakefront path to the Navy Pier; go to a concert in Wicker Park or at the Lollapalooza Festival; go to a Blackhawks/Cubs/Bulls/Sox game to cheer on Chicago’s home teams.
  • MUST SEE: Skydeck Chicago (The Ledge), a glass balcony extending four feet outside the 103rd floor of Willis Tower (for the thrill seeker/to take in an amazing view of the city); Chicago Symphony Orchestra (for the architecture and music buff); Studio Paris, American Junkie and Sub51 (for going clubbing with your girlfriends).

6. San Francisco, CA: If you’re California dreamin’, try SanFran on for size. This increasingly popular post-grad city is located in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area. Live like the girls from Full House and enjoy this warm, sunny, exciting city while you’re still young.

• MUST EAT: Try Tomasso’s, a homey little restaurant in North Beach, for literally   the best pizza and ravioli you will EVER eat. Don’t miss The Ferry Building: an indoor farmer’s market full of fresh, organic, gourmet food right on the bay.
  • MUST DO: Shopping in Union Square: Kate Spade, Tory Burch, J. Crew … what more could a girl want?; Cheer on the Giants at AT&T Park…go see the World Series Champions on their home turf against their rivals, the Los Angeles Dodgers; see an indie concert at the Fillmore and hang out at the upstairs bar in this awesome restored rock venue.
  • MUST SEE: Walk or bike across the famous Golden Gate Bridge (for the tourist at heart); De Young Art Museum (to appreciate some of the city’s finest works and traveling exhibits); Coit Tower (for the landscape lover-take in a gorgeous view of the bay and the cool architecture around the city!).

7. Charleston, SC: So basically, if Lily Pulitzer and Boston had a baby, they’d make Charleston. This charming, quaint yet bustling Southern city is full of delicious, one-of-a-kind restaurants; unique shops and a high-fashion culture; and perhaps the biggest draw, beaches and warm weather. What more could you ask for?

• MUST EAT: For good ol’ Southern comfort food (think fried chicken, green beans a buttermilk biscuits) try Poogan’s Porch or Magnolia’s; for a “trendy” dish, try F.I.G or SNOB; for the best brunch you’ll ever have, try Toast.
  • MUST DO: Strolling along the Charleston Harbor with salted caramel gelato in- hand; walking along King Street to check out all the shops and boutiques; drinks at Mint or The Vendue (for ladies 21+ years old); the Saturday Farmer’s Market in Marion Square; taking a run/your dog for a walk along the beautiful, historic houses at The Battery.
  • MUST SEE: The breathtaking Isle of Palms (for the beach lover); Boone Hall   Plantation (for the history buff/it’s where some scenes in The Notebook were filmed); The Battery (for looking at houses you wish you could buy someday).

8. Atlanta, GA: Another “Southern charmer,” Atlanta’s funky, eclectic vibe and variety of things to do will attract any post-grad twenty-something who’s willing to explore a hip, fast-paced, yet relaxed lifestyle.

• MUST EAT: If you like Mexican food, try Taqueria Del Sol for amazing tacos and   great margaritas (for those that are 21+!). True Food Kitchen features delicious, healthy farm-to-table dishes…buy their cookbook so you can make ‘em at home.
  • MUST DO: Phipps and Lenox Malls are diagonal from one another and have an   endless list of shops, ranging from Macy’s and the Apple Store to couture lines and designers; visit the “Buckhead Bars” scene is popular (think Bull Run, but older people) and all the bars are connected to each other; go to a Braves or Falcons game, depending on season…you can buy tickets for $1 and enjoy ice-cold beers and peanuts, no matter if the teams win or lose.
  • MUST SEE: Midtown (to see the Aquarium, Coca Cola factory, ’96 Olympics Park and tons of cool bars and restarants); Stone Mountain (for the nature lover/to take an awesome hike); Little Five Points and Virginia Highlands (for a unique shopping experience).

…There you have it, ladies. If NYC isn’t for you, make one of these amazing cities your own post-grad oasis. If I were you, I’d start signing your leases now!

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com