Artificial Sweeteners: Maybe not the healthy option?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

What you need to know:

Recently, biologists have been studying the impact that artificial sweeteners have on our bodies. Researchers found that there is a possibility that the consumption of artificial sweeteners is linked to an increase in diabetes for certain individuals.

When we are all trying to lose a couple of pounds, many of us are told that artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda or Sweet’N Low, are better for us because they have less calories than regular sugar without a sacrifice of taste.  Our bodies do not contain the enzyme that breaks down artificial sweeteners, which means that artificial sugars have no nutritional value or calories. So, as we sit at 7th Street or Dunkin Donuts, we decide to use these substitutes in our coffee and tea in order to be healthy. However, recent studies suggest, but do not confirm, that artificial sweeteners affect bacteria in our gut that are normally beneficial to our body. In adjusting the chemical makeup of these bacteria, our bodies develop a sort of glucose intolerance that leads to higher blood sugar levels, eventually leading to diabetes.            

When you take away all of the biological terms, the bottom line is this: Although artificial sweeteners may be useful for weight control, their consumption can be linked to diabetes, a serious condition that affects millions of Americans.

So, what do you do now?

For those who use Splenda in their coffee everyday, take a deep breath. I do it, too. Luckily, scientists have been searching for healthier alternatives for several years now, and here is a list of some healthier solutions you may want to consider trying!

1. Agave Nectar. Say what? Trust me, it sounds weird. However, it has become more abundant in coffee shops and stores over the past couple of years, as its popularity has increased. Although it has more calories than sugar, it is much sweeter, so you can use a lot less of it. It also does not affect blood sugar levels as most sugars and artificial sweeteners do, which means it is healthier!
  2. Truvia. Just like agave nectar, Truvia does not have the ability to spike your blood sugar. It is derived from an herb found in Central and Southern America (sounds healthy to me!) and is much sweeter than table sugar!
  3. Honey. Although honey and sugar are very similar, doctors recommend choosing honey over sugar because of honey’s additional health benefits. Honey contains many natural vitamins, can help with sore throats and coughs, is great for skin (Burts bees products!), and can even energize you! It tastes great in tea (even green tea), which can leave your throat feeling smooth and healthy

Moving forward:

Science is constantly changing as researchers conduct new experiments and form new conclusions. While results of this study on artificial sweeteners are not conclusive, scientists are researching the drawbacks of artificial sweentners every day to better understand the product.

As a health-conscious collegiette, always be conscious of what you are putting into your body. All sugar is basically bad for you, but can be used in moderation to fulfill those sweet tooth cravings or even just to add a little sweetness to your coffee. I am not a biologist sitting here forcing you to remove all artificial sugars from your diet. But, maybe the next time you are making your coffee, you can think twice about putting that Splenda in it, and instead try out some healthy alternatives to protect your own body! Next time you are arguing with your mom or a friend about whether artificial sweeteners are in fact worse than sugar, you can use this information to make yourself look a lot smarter!

Sources:

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com