Are You C*ckblocking Yourself?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Sunday mornings are notorious for the “What happened last night? Did you hook up with him/her? Did I throw up?” conversation. Arguably, there is nothing better than the Sunday morning hangover breakfast with your besties. Different weekend, same sh*it, am I right? However, Sunday breakfasts can always be made more entertaining as you and your friends unfold the night’s events and realize you acted completely out of character.

This Sunday’s morning assembly seemed nothing out of the norm: my friend was complaining about how she almost hooked-up with her crush who was idling around her all night, but then ended up hooking up with his best friend. This seemed like a typical, yet unfortunate, series of events, until my friend realized the unlikely: she c*ckblocked herself.

It was then that my friends and I began thinking of times when we were, in fact, our own worst enemies. Here are some incidents we came up with which inevitably ruined our slim, yet existent, chances with a crush:

Calling Your Crush by the Wrong Name

Talking to your crush can be… difficult. When you’re talking to the person who makes your heart skip a beat or two, it’s hard to have a totally normal conversation. It’s so easy to slip up and say something seriously embarrassing, weird or awkward, like calling him by the wrong name. Most likely, you know his name, especially if he’s been on your radar for a while. But, while your mind is racing in multiple directions thinking of the perfect thing to say, you may end up calling him by your ex-boyfriend’s name, for example, because he’s a guy you used to converse with pretty regularly. Unfortunately, this can cause your crush to get a bad impression of you, as he may think that you’re not into him at all. However, this is not the end-all. You can recover from this awkward situation by apologizing and saying you have had a crazy and busy day. Take a deep breath, continue the conversation, and be yourself! This is important to remember no matter who you’re talking to.

Talking About Your Ex

Neither you or your crush is naïve. Both of you have obviously led a life before you met. While trying to connect with your current love-interest, it’s important to try to refrain from talking about your ex in order to make it seem like you are not still dwelling on the past. Our egos are often easily bruised, and for this reason, it is sometimes better to stay happily oblivious about your special-someone’s relationship history. Instead, start by talking about something that’s more neutral, like a mutual interest.

Telling Your Crush You Hate His/Her Friends

Speaking negatively about your crush’s friends will make you look like the bad person, even if you do have a valid reason to dislike the person. What if your crush said something rude about your best friend knowing she’s your best friend? You’d probably be really turned off, right? Instead, accept your crush’s friends. If your crush hangs out with someone you dislike, it’s not the end of the world.In other words, sometimes you only have yourself to blame when getting into unfortunate situations. Better luck next time!

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com