Advice for Off Campus Housing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Picking housing is always a stressful process at Bucknell.  Then, for senior year, add in the downtown lottery system and it’s like the school wants us to go crazy. Bucknell is unique in that we’re offered housing on campus for all four years of our college career. Consequently, we’re also unique in that the school controls how many of us can live off campus for our senior years. About 200 seniors, 100 men, and 100 women, will be approved to live downtown for the 2017-2018 school year—contingent on their application, Greek housing status, and their current judicial record. Ultimately, students are chosen based on a random number lottery system similar to the one that is used for general housing.

Here at HerCampus Bucknell, we know how stressful and complicated the lottery process can be. That’s why we’ve decided to speak to some current seniors to get some advice on the process.

1. Even if you’re not 100% positive that you want to live downtown, submit the application anyway. As one senior said, “I would say it’s better to be safe than sorry. I assumed a majority of the downtown houses were old fraternity houses and had no desire to live there so I didn’t apply at all. However, it became clear to me that was not the case and once my friends got a good lottery number, I regretted not applying. It can’t hurt to put your name in.” So you see, it’s better to apply than not. In the end if you get accepted to live downtown and decide you don’t want to you can always deny the offer—but at least you’ll have the option!

2. Check with whoever is funding your housing situation before you apply to live downtown to make sure they support your decision. One senior thought she had her situation figured out until she spoke to her dad, “I was planning on living downtown with a group of friends and we had things pretty much figured out. Then I talked to my dad who immediately shut that down and said I could not live downtown. I recommend getting permission from your parents or guardians who are paying for your education and housing before you make plans with your friends.”  It’s important to ensure that you have support to live off campus as paying for it is different than paying for on campus housing.

3. One of the most difficult parts about living downtown is figuring out who you’re living with. Many of the leases downtown only allow for 3 people, however there are some with more. One senior recommends finding people to commit to living together before the lottery numbers are distributed. Obviously things can and definitely will change in regards to roommates, however it’s important to have at least a general idea of who you want to live with so you’re not going in blind.

4. Take a look at the houses for lease before you get your lottery number. This is totally optional but will definitely put you way ahead of the game. That being said it can’t hurt to have a general idea of where you might want to live if you get accepted. Houses go fast and it may be helpful to at least know your options. A link to a map of possible downtown rental units and contact information is posted at the bottom of this article!

5. Just because you don’t get accepted to live downtown doesn’t mean it’s the end of the world! 200 students out of a class of over 900 is a small minority of students who live downtown. There are plenty of other awesome options on campus for seniors. The gateways are still close to downtown and class. They’re basically a perfect medium. The new South Campus Apartments may be farther away but they’re definitely the nicest option on campus out of any housing. Don’t forget about the many affinity houses on campus too!

I hope this advice helped calm some nerves. It’s important to remember that where you live your senior year doesn’t define the kind of year you’ll have! Remember to keep an open mind and everything will be fine!

Link to possible rental units: https://www.bucknell.edu/script/housing/offcampus/search.aspx

Link to more information about Off-campus living:

http://www.bucknell.edu/OffCampusLiving

I am currently a Junior at Bucknell University studying Political Science and Italian. I hope to one day write informational political pieces for a news reporting agency. When I'm not watching netflix or reading current event I can be found snuggling with my dog.
What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.