8 Storage Hacks for Under $10

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Already feel like you can’t find half of the clothing items and school supplies you unpacked just a week or two ago? Well then Her Campus Bucknell has got you covered! Keeping your dorm room organized and clutter free with these helpful hacks is easy, creative and won’t break the bank. So what are you waiting for? Check out Her Campus Bucknell’s eight storage tips for a clean and organized dorm room this semester!

1.Cork Board Jewelry Hanger

Tucking away your necklaces or bracelets into a little jewelry box can be a pain when the beads, wires and chains all become tangled. To add a little decoration to your room and allow your jewelry to be neatly organized, try a cork board display! All you need is a corkboard ($7.99 at Michaels) and a package of pushpins ($1.49 at Office Depot). Place the pushpins on the cork, hang your jewelry items on the pins, and tack some pictures around the board’s edges to add some personal flair. 

2.Hanging Storage Basket

Need some more storage space but don’t want to waste anymore of your precious floor area? Then Her Campus Bucknell has a little DIY idea for you! All you will need is two thumbtacks and a wired kitchen container. Simply wedge one thumbtack into any piece of storage, push in another tack a few inches away so that it lines up with your first thumbtack and balance the wiring of the basket onto both tacks. And if DIY isn’t for you, over the cabinet baskets (like this one for $8.99 from Bed Bath & Beyond) can be shipped right to campus in no time!  

3.Magazine File for all of your Hair Care Needs

A magazine file can double as a great organization tool for books, notebooks and even your hair products! Store any and all of your hair care needs from your hairbrush to your hair dryer in a sturdy magazine file to rid your dresser of clutter. With endless options to choose from (check out this one for $6.99 from Ikea), adding an extra pop of color or pattern to any small space in your dorm is easy and cheap!

4.Hanging Shoe Organizer

Adding a hanging shoe organizer to your closet will maximize your space and allow for extra pockets of storage. Keeping your shoes neat and organized can be a challenge, especially in a dorm room closet. With a hanging shoe organizer (just $4.99 at Ikea), you can say goodbye to oversized, bulky shoe racks at the foot of your closet and hello to an efficient use of closet space!   

5.Silverware Organizer for Desk Drawer Storage 

Been missing those erasers, paperclips and pens you tucked away into your desk drawer on move in day? Placing a flatware organizer tray in your desk drawer will ensure that your White Out never goes missing again. In addition to a generic desk organizer, a silverware organizer ($8.99 at Lowe’s) can also work to keep your desk drawer space in order.

6.Mason Jars turned Desk Storage

Ever wondered what you could do with all of those pretty jam and mason jars lying around your house? With a quick clean, and maybe a ribbon tied around it or a fresh coat of glitter paint, they can become your newest pencil jar. Displaying your pencils, pens and highlighters in a little glass jar (like this simple one from Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft store for $2.99) gives you easy access to your school supplies and makes for a cute desk accessory. Pair it with the silverware organizer for your desk drawer mentioned above, and your study space will be organized in no time!

7.Nail Polish Storage

Using a spice rack or a lazy Susan to organize your nail polish can free your dresser top from clutter. Twirling a lazy Susan (like this one from Ikea for $7.99 ) or scanning a spice rack ($9.99 at The Container Store) can help you easily view, access, and store every nail polish color from summer’s bright pinks to winter’s navy blues.  

8.Bedside Caddy

A perfect place to store anything from your phone to your favorite magazine is in a bedside caddy. Place the hanging pouch underneath your mattress, fill up the pockets and voila! Now you have a built in bedside table (like this one from our friendly neighborhood Walmart for only $6.99) that houses all of your everyday use items. You’ll never have to leave your bed again!