5 Tips to Your Best Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Standing in front of multiple syllabi, a mountain of reading, and countless projects, papers, and presentations, the upcoming semester can be a little intimidating.  Not to mention all of the social activities that occurs exclusively during the spring semester.  How can one girl manage to make appearances at every commitment, looking dressed to impress, while also keeping up her GPA?  After 7 semesters getting acquainted with the Bucknell Community, I have acquired a couple of tricks to manage. 

1: Organize your closet 

There are a variety of ways to organize your closet, and each of them offers you several great perks.  Whether you like to keep things color coded, or separated by clothing type, purposefully placing clothes in your closet lets you know exactly what is in there.  Whether getting ready for an impromptu dinner date, an early morning class, job interview, or late night mixer, you will know exactly what you have and where to look for it.  Better yet, when integrating new purchases from winter break, you can toss out the things that are wasting space in your closet.  The biggest trick in organizing your closet is keeping it organized throughout the semester

2: Keep a Planner

One of the things that I have found most effective in managing my time is setting a schedule for homework and workouts around my class schedule, and writing it down in my planner.  For example, pick specific days to get your readings done for each class, rather than waiting until the last minute.  By writing them down into your planner, you not only remember the assignments better, but you feel more compelled to finish them.  At the same time, write in the social events that you want to go to.  By penning the academics and social calendars in the same planner, you feel more committed to both.

3:  Schedule in “ME” time

Each day, give an hour to just yourself.  The options during that hour are unlimited: go to the gym, paint your nails, watch TV, peruse Her Campus, or walk downtown. By consistently scheduling that hour in for yourself each day, you crave relaxation time less when it comes time to do hit the books.  You can spend your hour alone or with friends, but the ultimate goal is to not think about schoolwork, job applications, or other commitments.  Simply disconnect, and relax!

4: Wean yourself from Social Networks 

I am not suggesting that you should leave Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Google+, or any other social website to which you belong.  However, you should severely consider limiting your social activity.   Consider socializing with people face to face instead of chatting, blogging, or following them online.  Set limits to how long you spend each day browsing social networks.  As a suggestion, check them once before classes in the morning, and again right before you go to bed.  One of the things this means is sacrificing Words with Friends.  However, look at it as an opportunity to gain conversations with your colleagues, professors, and friends.

5:  Eat 3 meals (and a snack) each day

I know this sounds silly to add something to your already packed fully day, but eating 3 healthy meals each day will give you the energy you need to accomplish everything on your to do list.  As your mother always told you: EAT BREAKFAST!  Even if it is just an apple from your room, get something to start off the day.  Being consistent with your meals will help get your body on a routine, letting your mind focus on the paper you need to type instead of the tasty milkshake calling your name at 7th Street.  That’s not to say you can’t splurge every once and a while, but keeping yourself fueled will leave you with more quality work time.  Having a power-packed snack, such as peanuts, Naked Drinks, or a bag of pretzels, in addition to the meals will help you fight over eating, and will also help you charge through the 2:30 burnout phase.  

Michelle Joline is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in Art History with minors in French and English (Creative Writing). Michelle is pursuing a career in broadcast media and entertainment, stemming off her long love of television and film. She is a co-founder and editor for Bucknell's branch of Her Campus and also spends her time as the Arts & Life editor of her school's newspaper, The Bucknellian. Michelle enjoys frozen yogurt, her golden retriever, New York City, movie trivia, and religiously reading The New York Times. She has been told her celebrity lookalike is none other than Michelle Tanner.