5 Sexual Benefits of Lovin’ Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Hailee Steinfeld’s infectious party anthem “Love Myself” has shaken up the media recently for reasons beyond its catchy surface. Yes, as many critics (and probably you) have suspected, there is a duality to Steinfeld’s lyrics. While the song advocates for self-love and confidence, it also expresses the benefits of, well, feelin’ yourself. 

It’s no secret that female masturbation has been a social taboo in the past. But studies show that despite the “bad touch” stigma, the number of women in the United States who masturbate on a regular basis is growing – but not by much. According to a survey, about 7.3% of women between the ages of 18 and 24 masturbate regularly, but that number is only a fraction of the 20.8% of men who masturbate two to three times a week. So why, ladies, should we give our female zone a little extra love this upcoming weekend (and all weekends, for that matter)? While masturbation isn’t for everyone, here are five of Her Campus Bucknell’s top sexual health reasons to touch yourself:

Your Body is a Wonderland

In any kind of sexual relationship, it’s important to know what you like and where you like it. Masturbation gives you the privilege to explore your lady parts and become more confident and aware of your body. And the next time you’re in bed with a partner, they’ll notice it, too!

Achieve the Big “O” More Often 

According to studies, masturbation exercises your pelvic floor muscles, allowing you to achieve better orgasms with your partner. Also, touching yourself can help you learn where your partner should touch you, improving your sexual compatibility and sex life. 

Laters, Lady Cramps

Those tiny contractions you experience during orgasms – called “uterine contractions” – actually help menstrual blood release faster during your period. This helps to numb those nasty menstrual cramps you might get on the first day of your period – and it relieves the stress of dealing with your time of the month, too.

Didn’t Go to the Gym Today?

Studies show that orgasming is a cardiovascular activity, meaning that it increases your heart rate, blood pressure, and respiratory rates. While it isn’t exactly the same as getting a full workout in, you can also get a similar “high” from masturbation as you would from running or other cardio activities. Orgasms also release endorphins – which naturally make you feel happier and healthier.

Hey, “I Love Me!”

Not only does masturbation boost sexual confidence, but it also releases the chemicals dopamine and prolactin. As a result, your stress levels decrease and leaves you feeling tired, so it’s the perfect way to get some beauty sleep after a long day. And all that much needed sleep shows both inside and out, leaving you with a positive self-image of you body and sexuality. Since when has something that feels this good been great for your aura, too?

So ladies, whether you’re spending Valentine’s Day alone, with one of these, or with a partner, you can always reap the benefits of keeping your hands to yourself. Want to learn more about the health benefits of feelin’ yourself? Check out this video:

For more information, check out these sources: