5 Must- Watch Documentaries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

It’s Friday afternoon and you’ve just completed another tiring week of classes. What better way to relax and unwind than opening your computer to that beloved, familiar red screen? While Netflix binge watching may be one of your go-to activities on a free afternoon or night, it may be time to mix up your routine just a bit. Instead of re-watching that one episode of Friends that you can probably quote every word to or gluing your eyes to a catty, reality show fight, move your mouse to a different side of the screen: the documentaries. Netflix offers a documentary on just about anything and everything you may be interested in. So the next time you furiously type in your Netflix password, opt to watch one of these engaging and interesting documentaries!

1. Amanda Knox

Few scandalous murder cases can top that of the controversial case involving Amanda Knox. In 2007, Knox and her then-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito were charged with the killing of British-exchange student Meredith Kercher after being found dead in the apartment she shared with Knox. However, years later, Sollecito and Knox were found not guilty by Italy’s highest court. Yet this saga doesn’t end here. Before the final appeal, the two were again found guilty for Kercher’s murder. Now 9 years later, get the full, inside story of the murder case that has rocked the world in this newly released documentary.  

2. Twinsters

Take a trip down memory lane to the better days of Lindsay Lohan with this real life, Parent Trap-like documentary. When Anaïs Bordier, a student living in London, stumbled upon a YouTube video featuring Samantha Futerman, an actress in Los Angeles, she was struck by their identical resemblance. After discovering that Futerman was also born in Korea but adopted by a loving family in the United States, the two joined forces to understand the uncanny resemblance and connection between them. Watch as the two sisters reunite and journey into the next part of their life, together as twins.   

3. Alive Inside: A Story of Music and Memory

For all you psych majors out there: this important and engaging documentary is sure to steal your hearts. And for all your music lovers, Michael Rossato-Bennett’s upbeat masterpiece will surely strike a chord in you too. Alive Inside: A Story of Music and Memory takes viewers inside the minds of the older generation as they experience an awakening due to the powers of music. Witness the incredible effects that music can have in restoring memories lost in time with this moving documentary.

4. Los Angeles Plays Itself

West coast, best coast? Absolutely. This video essay by Thom Andersen, allows audiences to enter the film industry as viewers explore the ways in which LA has been presented and utilized in movies overtime. In addition to showcasing the beauty that is Los Angeles, Andersen also zeroes in on a discussion of how Hollywood often overshadows all of the positive, redeeming qualities of LA. Bring out your inner director or movie critic with this interesting documentary on one of the country’s best cities.

5. Hungry For Change

If you’re on that health kick, then this is the documentary for you. James Colquhoun and Laurentine ten Bosch are Nutritional Consultants turned filmmakers who set out to go behind the scenes of the food and weight loss industry. Exposing the secrets of two of the biggest industries in our world today, Hungry For Change is a powerful film that reveals what “healthy” really looks like.

Sources:

http://twinstersmovie.com

http://www.hungryforchange.tv

http://people.com/crime/amanda-knox-netflix-documentary-5-things-to-know/

http://www.aliveinside.us

SaveSave

What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.