5 Hair Styles To Suit Any Girl’s Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

As that time of the year draws closer, don’t feel alone in thinking it’s time to put a little extra effort into your appearance. It happens to the best of us, whether we’re single, taken, or some odd amalgamation of the two. It’s only natural to equate Valentine’s Day with primping and pampering. But what’s romantic about spending an hour in front of the mirror, burning your ears on curling irons, knotting your hair, and expending energy only to feel unsatisfied with your hair? Absolutely nothing. So my Valentine’s Day gift to you is a quick and simple guide to styles that will leave you feeling romantic and beautiful.

Soft, Romantic Curls

Valentine’s Day is the perfect excuse to show off soft, delicate, feminine curls. The longer your hair, the better this works. If you have shorter hair, use this technique from scalp to tip for a look more conducive to your length!

1. Dry your hair straight, whether this involves allowing it to dry naturally, blowing it out, or smoothing it over with a flat iron.
  2. Place a flat iron about 1/3 of the length away from the tip of your hair. This will be what you use to create the curl.
  3. Close the iron around a straight of hair, about 1 ½ inches wide, and rotate your iron towards your ceiling while moving it slowly towards the tip of your hair.
  4. If the curl is too tight or too severe, either brush it through a few times with a soft-bristle brush or run the iron lightly over it.

Windswept Hair

As Bucknell students, we understand the pitfalls of windy winter weather. But there is something idyllic and elegant about ever-so-slightly tussled hair. This look is very simple, but can accompany outfits for class, your coffee-grabbing ensemble, or even attire for a fancy dinner!

Blow out hair from scalp to tip with a round brush, pulling it straight down the length of your hair and gently turning it under or over at the bottom. I prefer doing some pieces each way. After you dry your hair, rub a tiny bit of smoothing or styling cream between your palms, then apply lightly by running fingers underneath your hair from scalp to tip, breaking apart the sections created when you blow dried your hair. Your style will look effortless, subtle, and elegant!

Top Knot

I’ll admit it, I’m a sucker for a high bun. These babies can do wonders for every girl. They tuck away messy hair, emphasize your cheekbones and facial structure, highlight your jewelry or your clothing, and are an easy way to pull any look together.

The best part of this look is that it can work for every Valentine’s Day vibe. Your top knot can be a casual yet elegant dismissal of the holiday, it can be a feminine way of embracing the day, or it can be an eye-catching way of making everyone around think why isn’t this girl my valentine?

There are so many variations to this seemingly-straightforward style. Here are just a few of my favorites.

Twisted Bun

1.     Begin by pulling hair into a high ponytail, being sure to smooth any flyaways down with hairspray or styling cream.

2.     Separate ponytail into two handfuls. Twist each handful individually.

3.     Wrap the twisted sections around one another.

4.     Hold your pseudo-braid by the end so it does not untwist, and spin it around the base of your ponytail to create a bun. Secure with a hair tie and bobby pins.

Volumized Bun

1.     Pull hair, again, into a high ponytail. Then, spread a generous amount of mousse on your hands and apply it to your ponytail liberally.

2.     Using a brush (soft bristles work best!) fluff the hair, teasing it if necessary! Feel free to add as much volume as you want!

3.     Smooth styling cream (in very small doses, since you already have product in your hair) around the outside of the ponytail to keep it from looking unkempt.

4.     Twist hair around to create a volumized bun!

Braid Bun

1.     No surprise here – pull you hair into a ponytail, and then braid the length of it. Secure it with a hair tie at the bottom.

2.     Twist hair around the base of the ponytail, creating a chic, elevated version of the braid you’ve known how to do since grade school!

Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!