The 4 Stages of Finishing A Show on Netflix: A Complete Collegiette Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

So, you finished your favorite show on Netflix and you have accepted that you just watched six seasons—close to five years of television—in a short two, maybe three months. Hopefully the series finale was as fulfilling as you hoped it would be and you’re left pleased, sated and overall satisfied that everything ended for the best. However, if that isn’t the case, I extend my deepest condolences to you and can assure that in some alternate universe your two favorite characters lived happily every after. Regardless of how your show ended, it is inevitable that there is now a Netflix shaped hole in your heart. Where your old reliable ‘resume watching’ icon used to sit is now Netflix recommending some random show that they think can possibly replace old faithful. To cope, maybe you re-watch some of your favorite scenes in an attempt to relive the most magical and memorable moments from seasons two and four.  Unfortunately though, at the end of the day, it’s just never the same as the first time. 

While this may feel like the end of the world, I can assure you that we’ve all been there and unfortunately know all too well what you’re about to go through. Thankfully, grieving the end of a show is a scientifically defined process that has been divided into three distinct stages. Fear not because while the initial phases may be difficult, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Stage 1: Fake Acceptance

You tell yourself that you’re glad that you finally finished watching this show. You say that you’re going to start spending your time more wisely, study more often, and maybe even go to the gym. You think about how awesome and fulfilling your days are going to be now that you’re going to be productive. And good for you! This new sense of determination to be proactive may last a couple hours, couple days or even a couple weeks if you’re lucky. However, this false sense of empowerment is only temporary and your obsession will likely begin to creep back up on you. Next thing you know, instead of writing your research paper or sweating it out on the elliptical, you find yourself scrolling through the ‘popular on Netflix’ section hoping you can find something else to watch.

Stage 2: Obsessive Replacement

So, being productive proved to not be as great as you hoped it would be. You’re longing for those long hours you used to spend cuddled in sweats on your bed watching Netflix, but you no longer have a show to spend these precious hours with.  You need something new that’s going to make you just excited as you once were for your old show, so you finally cave and try some show that Netflix is recommending. However, you can’t help but notice how much less engaging these foreign fictional characters are compared to everyone from your old show. This new show is more than likely to fail to keep your attention for more than a week at most, and it leaves you increasingly restless. You used to look forward to relaxing while watching Netflix, but now it’s become something you can’t stop obsessing over because you can’t get back to that place where you actually could relax.  As a result, you begin to get desperate. You ask your friends, you ask your parents, you even ask Google where you should go from here, but every show you’re recommended either simply doesn’t compare or you’ve already seen it before.

Stage 3: Grieving

You’re sure that there simply has never been a show as flawless as the one you just finished, and that you’ll never be entertained the same way. It is almost as if your best friend has let you down.  How is it that Netflix, which is supposed to supply you with endless movie and television entertainment, cannot find you a suitable match to watch in their thousands of possible streaming options?! You’re blue, feeling hopeless and grieving the fact that you can’t find a single new television series to watch. But you chuckle to yourself and know that’s never happening, so you continue on your quest with every passing day. However, your determination begins to wane when you still cannot find a proper replacement, making you feel more and more like giving up.

Stage 4: Netflix Nirvana

This vicious cycle does eventually come to an end because just when you’re about to give up, thats when you stumble on it – some random show you remembered that you once told yourself you were going to start watching as soon as you finished some other series. All that hard work and dedication to finding a new show has finally paid off! Congrats! It was meant to be. Now it’s time to go and enjoy every second of it before you wind up back at stage 1. 

There is nothing like the comfort of knowing that you have a television show to watch when you return to your room after a long day. To be able to forget about your crazy calendar filled with homework exams and busy social calendars that have been stressing you out and immerse yourself in someone elses drama and world is a real treat and a nice way to end a night. Netflix couldn’t make it easier to induce us into binge watching series by making each episode seamlessly flow into the next – we don’t even need to move a muscle! But with that comes a dangerous drawback: what may have intended to be just watching one episode can quickly turn into five or six, and suddenly half of your day (or more) has completely blown by. And while it truly is incredible being able stay in bed and watch television all day, be mindful if you find yourself doing that more than once a week, because your habit might be approaching a slightly unhealthy one. So, the next time you cozy up in your be mindful of how much time you’re actually spending watching television.  Nonetheless, after a long day, go ahead, put on your sweatpants, and enjoy because Netflix is calling your name! 

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com