3 Tips on Combatting FOMO

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) is a very real condition.  Sometimes, we let it become so powerful that it causes us to lose sight of our other commitments.  With just a few simple tips, you will be able to regain control over what is important, and remind yourself that one night out is not what will bring you true happiness or fulfillment.

1.     Utilize Discernment.

Be able to distinguish for yourself what you should be doing and what you might want to be doing.  It is always okay to say “no” to a night out if you need a good night’s sleep, or if you want to put your energy into other things.  Focus your time doing the things that will enhance the richness of your life (i.e. your education, health, and loved ones).

2.  Evaluate Why You’re Going.

If you only want to go to the party to “say you went” or because you want a cute Instagram, PLEASE re-evaluate.  The only purpose of going out should be to create a positive experience for you and for those around you.  There is a distinct difference in focusing on the experience versus focusing on the symbol of the experience.  Do NOT preoccupy your time being superficial, especially if going out might not actually be healthy for you!

3.  Prioritize Quality over Quantity.

Know that cultivating higher quality friendships will bring more richness to your life than going to lots of parties.  Invest your time into the people you care most about.  Doing that might even help combat the need to be surrounded by lots of people at parties!  Take the time to remind yourself of the friendships you already have, and know that these people (not the parties) are so much more important to your well-being.

Sources:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/stronger-the-broken-places/201501/10-ways-overcome-fear-missing-out

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/02/fomo-fear-of-missing-out_n_3685195.html