Zeba Race: Program Manager of CSC’s Voices from the Middle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s hard to find a person more generous than Zeba Race (SED’14).  Not only is she a dedicated student, she also divides the rest of her time between BU’s Community Service Center, the Catholic Center and elementary schools around Boston. Between volunteering and her passion for skiing and singing, I’m not sure when she finds time to sleep!

Race, from Newton, MA, first put her foot in the community service door by participating in FYSOP (First Year Student Outreach Project). “I did it as a way of meeting people that are also interested in community service,” said Race.

After participating in FYSOP, Race found her calling in the Voices from the Middle program. “I chose a program that sounded cool and I’ve volunteered with it ever since,” said Race. Not only is Race a volunteer in the program, but she is also the Program Manager.

Voices from the Middle volunteers visit schools in Boston and work with students to get their voices heard. “Through creative activities, usually theater, art, or creative writing based activities, students get the chance to talk about issues in their lives,” Race explains.  Although students focus on the end goal, such as a theatrical performance, Race believes that the process of getting there is just as important, if not more so. “We really focus on the conversations that take place to get to the product,” said Race.

Not only does Race travel to schools for community service, but she also does so for her major, Early Childhood Education. She hopes to one day become a preschool teacher, and maybe even start her own preschool. Her many leadership experiences at BU have hopefully paved a way to start making these dreams a reality.  

Race is not only self-motivated, but she has an amazing CSC team to help her along the way. “The people I work with are so amazing,” said Race. I love being valued by the university and being seen as a leader. ”

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.