Your New Professional (and affordable) Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The holiday season is rolling around and your parents have no idea what to get you because you’re an independent, moneymaking collegiette and you’ve already bought everything you want. But you’ve realized that you don’t have professional clothes for your internship next semester or for those real/mock interviews you plan to go on! But don’t worry, here’s a simple list of items I recommend having in your closet—and maybe you have a few already. You can add and subtract based on your personal style (and budget) and never repeat an outfit! I’ve also included some stores where you can find these pieces for a good price.

Pieces:

1-2 pairs of black dress pants

1-2 pair of non-black (gray, blue, tan or printed) dress pants

1-2 black pencil skirts that hit at or just above the knee

1-2 non-black (gray, blue, tan or printed) pencil skirts that hit at or just above the knee

1 black blazer

2 other cardigans or blazers of other colors

3-4 blouses of any color (white is a staple but you can have fun—just be sure they’re opaque)

3-4 solid shirts of varying sleeve lengths (perfect for layering under blazers/cardigans or alone)

2 nice sweaters

1-2 dresses that hit at or just above the knee

1 package of nude tights

1 package of black tights

1 pair of comfy black flats

1 pair of comfy black heals

1 pair of comfy statement heals/flats that can match your other wardrobe pieces

1 killer handbag that works for all seasons

2 statement necklaces

3+ other accessories (headbands, watches, belts, jewelry, scarves, etc.)

Recommendations:

Never ever buy anything too tight, too short, too revealing or too see through! You can always alter bigger clothing and tailor it exactly to your body. This will ALWAYS be more flattering and appropriate than trying to squeeze into a smaller size. Also, when buying more expensive or loud (in color, print or style) make sure it matches at least three other pieces you’re buying or currently own. That way, you’ll get your wear out of it!

Stores:

1. H&M

2. J. Crew

3. Zara

4. Marshalls/TJ Maxx

5. Loft

6. New York and Company

7. Express

8. Anthropologie

9. Department stores (e.g. Macy’s, Nordstrom’s, JC Penny, Lord & Taylor, etc.)

*Don’t feel like you need to shop for everything at one store. Look around for the best styles and prices!

Read this Her Campus article about internship wear specifically for the summer!

And if you want advice creating transitional day-to-night office wear outfits, check out this article on College Candy!

An advertising student at Boston University, Allison Penn has been writing for HCBU since fall 2013. Her favorite beat is tips for internships and professionalism, but enjoys musing about pop culture too. She loves the weekly #Adweekchat, children's books, the colors olive and eggplant, Friends, magazines and dark chocolate. Secretly, she still wishes she could be a ballerina when she grows up. Follow on Twitter: @AllisonRebeccaP
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis