Work Hard, Play Hard: 10 Tips for Time Management

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

College life comes with an abundant amount of freedom and responsibility. Having classes for only four or five hours a day sounds pretty darn amazing, but then there’s also student activities, extracurriculars, maybe a job on the side, and spending time with your friends; it’s hard to find time for yourself! With so much going on, it can be challenging to organize everything on your plate and find a time slot for everything.

Time management is a crucial skill that everyone, not just college students, should master. The earlier you learn how to use your time to your advantage, the easier your life will be. Managing your time won’t cut down on the amount of tasks you have to complete but it makes your life a whole lot less stressful if you know when and where to get the task done.

College is what everyone claims to be “the best four years of your life” and it is! But with some time management tips and tricks under your belt, your college life will only be better! Follow these ten simple tips and college will be a breeze. Work hard, play hard!

1.     Buy a planner

As simple as this sounds, buying a planner will really help divide your time and get what you need done. Having a physical copy of your schedule and what you need to get done in front of you, will actually help you get your task completed. Write down everything in this planner and always have it with you. Also make sure to highlight or circle or underline important things such as an exam or a major event; this will only help you use your time more wisely. 

2.     Use the course syllabus

During the first week of school professors hand out the syllabus for the entire semester, SAVE IT! This isn’t just another piece of paper, but literally your holy grail for the semester. Once you get your syllabus, look over it and highlight the important dates for exams and due dates for papers. Once you’ve highlighted it, I would strongly advise you to also write it down in your planner. Go ahead and write everything for the coming semester in your planner! There’s no such thing as over planning! Not only does the syllabus include homework assignments and dates for exams and papers, but professors usually include dates for review sessions, tutorials, and most importantly their office hours! Writing everything down on your planner will make your study habits more efficient.

3.     Make lists and prioritize

Find a planner that has a monthly and weekly view. The month will help you see the bigger picture of what you have during the upcoming month, but the weekly view will help you move day to day. Make lists of what you have to do daily, weekly, monthly and prioritize accordingly. Make sure to cross out the tasks you’ve completed, so you can move on to the next.

4.     Limit distractions

Put your phone down! I know it’s hard not being on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and all the other social media sites for a while, but it’s got to be done if you want to get things done. Turn off your phone, go somewhere quiet and start attacking the assignments you need to get done. Distractions not only hinder your performance but it leads you off track. If you want to go to the gym, but run into a friend and wants to tell you about her day, NO, don’t get side tracked and just go to the gym!

5.     Learn to say NO

Just like what I said in tip #4. Learn to say no. If you need to get something done, then get it done and don’t let anyone or anything stop you from doing so. I know it’s hard to say no sometimes to your friends or anyone, but time is precious and yours to control. Saying no doesn’t mean you’re a mean person, it just means you’re a busy person and you have your own things to do.

6.     Don’t procrastinate

Similar to the tip above, but stay on top of your duties and list. It’s hard not to procrastinate, because we’ve all been there and done that. But seriously, the planner we brought wasn’t just for show! It is to plan out our weeks and to make sure we get things done in time. And that pulling all nighters for writing that paper or cramming a semester worth of knowledge is way behind us. Don’t leave things to the last minute!

7.     Set goals

Just like making a list, set goals and then reward yourself for doing so. If you have an exam in a few weeks, set a goal to read a few pages everyday so you won’t have to end up reading six chapters the night before. But also reward yourself if you reach your goal. Spoil yourself with that cute top you’ve had your eye on or go to a party this weekend that you missed last weekend in order to study. Remember that hard work will pay off!

8.     Be organized

Be as organized as you can. Color code things in order to make thing clearer and more easily accessible. Not only will an organized work space help you in the long run, but an organized planner and mind will make a huge difference in your work. Having your day organized and planned out will only get you so far, but if everything in your life is organized, such as your notes, desk, even closet, you’ll be on top of the world!

9.     Be healthy

Having a health body is the most important thing in this world. Not only will a well-fueled body help make you feel better, but you will be able to work more efficiently and effectively. Make sure to get a decent amount of hours for sleep, have a clean, healthy diet, and try to exercise regularly. If you’re constantly pulling all-nighters and depending on energy drinks, not only will your body hate you for it, but it will appear in your work ethic. You’ll be on top of all your tasks and still look hot!

10.  One step at a time

Try to avoid multitasking. Multitasking may seem efficient but in reality it just wastes more time and you won’t be putting your effort 100% into what you’re doing. College is definitely overwhelming, but just remember to breath and tackle one day and one task at a time! 

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.