Why to Start Taking a Spin Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Living in Boston, there are few times during the school year where the weather is nice enough to bike around outside. Sure, September brings warm air, October breathes crispness, but the moment November truly hits, the wind tunnels and premature blasts of snow can take the motivation out of anyone.  This is why I am so grateful that a friend recently turned me on to my newest addiction: spin class.

At the gym, stationary bikes were always my last machine of choice. It never sounded appealing to spend almost an hour going nowhere, stuck in a saddle that makes me sore in awkward places for the next few days. But then I paid a visit (a free first visit) to Velo-City right off of Newbury Street. This spin studio was a close walk from my classes in East and an even shorter walk from the Hynes T-stop (a prime location which just makes it easier to feed my addiction).

When you enter the spin studio, it is a large dark room with 37 bikes, and a pair of two-pound weights on every bicycle for lifting mid-spin session. The lighting is designed so that, as the music is blasted out, the lights can change color depending on the song and the instructor’s preference. However, the room remains dark so that every rider can focus on his or herself only. There is also a black light so that everyone’s shoes are lit brightly, showing every individual how fast their feet are working to the beat. At Velo, the bike shoes are provided, so I have always been able to just throw leggings in my bag to class and not worry about carrying around bulky sneakers all day.

Now, I may have not yet convinced you to start spinning with the easy location of a studio, the impeccable lighting, and the conveniently provided shoes, but I may convince you with the main reason I go: the health benefits.

For every 45-50 minute ride, you can burn anywhere from 400 to 600-plus calories, depending on the individual effort you put in and how much you push yourself while pedaling faster and adding resistance on the bike (check out how much you can burn here). You will be able to push yourself to the max, and yet not be fatigued after, because the sessions limited in time and thus do not let you overwork yourself.  The classes get your heart rate up, as you get lost in the music and forget you are even leaning on your legs to a point of definition. While you are building strength and toning muscle, you are also building your stamina, improving your cardio-vascular fitness, keeping your heart healthy, becoming more coordinated, reducing stress, and overall feeling rejuvenated and euphoric by the end of the session.

And if you don’t believe me, just try it for yourself—the first class is free if you’re DTC (down to cycle)! http://www.velo-citystudio.com/

Shannon Stocks is a Junior at Boston University in the Sargent School for Health Sciences, majoring in Speech Language and Hearing Sciences. She has always loved to write and focuses this passion on her poetry. In her free time, you can find her at spin class on Newbury Street, working on a project in the community service center, or at the Hillel House. She loves being a part of the Her Campus Team!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.