Why Professors Should Keep Politics out of the Classroom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I have always believed that teachers should keep their political opinions to themselves. I think that they sometimes fail to realize that not every student will have the same views as they do. The failure to recognize this is a serious problem. 

The purpose of a teacher is to allow children to create their own opinions on issues. The teacher provides the facts, and the individual is allowed to think or believe however they want. This seems to be not the case, however. Education, or also known as a form of indoctrination, starts at a young age and continues throughout the entirety of school. What I have come to realize is that many of my close friends here at BU are starting to feel uncomfortable, frustrated, and discriminated against. 

I have had multiple conversations with peers about how they wish a teacher would not push their opinion on them in class. For example, my close friend, who happens to be conservative, was telling me the other day about how her one teacher continually insults Trump and his actions in her class. While we are in a liberal state and the majority of students agree with the teacher, it is so important to keep in mind that not everyone may have the same opinion as you. My friend then told me how she feels like she has to hide her political affiliation, and instead sits in silence as she listens to classmates insult the candidate she voted for. 

And yes, it is everyone’s right to speak freely, but it is also everyone’s right to think differently. What kind of democracy do we live in if people with opposing views are too scared to speak out, in fear of being insulted? 

This issue has arisen many times amongst my conservative friends. Yes, they supported Trump. Are they bad people? Not at all. I truly believe that these repressive feelings the minority of students face are due in part to our education system pressing certain views and opinions upon us. This needs to stop, as it makes the students who think differently feel bad about themselves. It is also engrained within the fundamentals of our amazing country to allow free thought and speech and to not have your character judged for it. We all need to be inclusive, respectful, and acknowledge that yes, people may not agree with you — and that’s OKAY. But it starts at a young age. Teachers need to teach respect and tolerance instead of bias and close-minded thinking.  

So please, BU teachers, keep your political opinions to yourself.    

Christy is a broadcast journalism major with a cinema & media studies focus at Boston University, class of 2018. She aspires to be a news anchor for a major network. In her spare time, she is an actress! Check out her journalism site at christymatino.weebly.com and her acting site at christymatino.com
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.