person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash

Why is our Generation Obsessed with Unicorn Foods?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

New foods are always filling my Instagram feed, but lately, I’ve noticed an increase in unicorn themed foods. The idea of unicorns is not a new thing. So why all the sudden does everyone care about unicorns? Unicorns seem to represent a world of fantasy. This world is glittery and colorful, allowing us to imagine endless possibilities. Our world is surrounded by such negativity, unicorns bring people happiness and help us believe in positivity.

So what is with this unicorn food trend? Why are we obsessing over such brightly colored food and drinks? It’s simple, unicorns are fun, and they make people happy. The new unicorn food and beverage fad are unique. Our generation has the desire to be different, unique, achieve their dreams, be the best and brightest, and break the Internet. Unicorn food and drinks are doing exactly this. There is so much hype around the food and drinks that it is causing people to want to try them.

Who wouldn’t want to try Unicorn Oreos? They are fun looking and pretty to look at.

*Picture credit UnicornFixation

Even Starbucks hopped on board. On April 19th, they released a magical drink called the Unicorn Frappuccino. This color changing drink comes with fairy dust sprinkled on top. Since then my Instagram feed has been filled with this magical drink. But make sure you try it before it’s gone.

*Picture Credit NYC.FOOD

Or even Unicorn Hot Chocolate? If it’s Instagram worthy, then I can definitely get behind the trend.

*Picture credit Danielle Tullo

We all know trends only last so long, but this one lets people use their imagination to think of the world as a happier, positive place. Unicorn foods are more than a trend. They are a lifestyle.

Hannah is a junior at Boston University where she is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Medical Anthropology. She is also the Events Coordinator for HCBU. She is from Plymouth, Massachusetts, and an avid beachgoer. Follow her on Instagram @hannahllauren!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.