rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why It’s Okay to Drop a Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Ever feel like dropping a class but feel guilty just thinking about it? Don’t. In some instances, it can be more beneficial to drop. Here are some situations where dropping a class may be the right move for you:

1. You Started Too Late and Just Can’t Catch Up

Photo from Huffington Post 

Ever switch into a class on the last day you’re allowed to add a course? I did. I realized I was taking a class I didn’t even need and decided to add a different one right before the deadline to add a new course. Suffice to say, I was not able to catch up. I had the option of staying in and stressing myself out by trying to catch up on the readings and finish three papers, or simply dropping the class. I felt guilty even thinking about it — my first semester and I was already dropping a class? I went to an academic advisor and asked her for an opinion on the situation. She said it was okay to drop a course and that plenty of students do it. So I dropped it, and I am so glad I did.

2. Your Mental Health Is More Important 

Photo from We Are IU 

Sometimes college is very overwhelming. You have an excessive amount of things to do and a limited amount of time — pretty soon, this can cause a lot of stress. It is important to not let your academic life stand in the way of your mental health. If you know that your course load will take a toll on you, I think it is okay for you to drop a class. Everyone stresses out during college but if you feel that you are constantly stressed out, you should think about dropping one class, because you shouldn’t sacrifice your mental health during college.

3. You Just Have Too Much Going On

Photo from Odyssey 

You only have so much time during college but you don’t always have enough time to get everything done. Balancing school, work, extracurriculars, a social life, and sleep is tough, and some semesters are tougher than others. If you feel that you are taking too much on, don’t feel as if you have to keep a full class schedule; it is okay to drop a class if this semester feels overwhelming for you. It’s better to do a limited amount of things very well than do average at a lot of things. Manage your time effectively and don’t feel the need to have a full class schedule if you can’t handle it.

Don’t feel pressured to stay in a class if you know it’s too much. It’s better to drop a class if you know you will benefit from it. Most importantly, don’t feel guilty about sacrificing a class to save yourself unnecessary stress this semester! 

Clarissa is a senior majoring in Journalism at Boston University's College of Communication. Besides writing, Clarissa loves Srabble, astrology, and satire. ?
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.