katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Going to Community College was the Best Decision I Ever Made

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Community college often gets dismissed as a lesser option for pursuing your education beyond high school, but that assumption is totally wrong. Here are my top four reasons that prove community college is an awesome place to be.

1. You save tons of money

When I went to community college a few years ago my tuition for the year was about $10,000. That sure beats paying BU’s $65,000 for four years.

2. You get to live at home

Although you have to constantly tell your parents where you’re going and with whom, the fact you’re able to sleep in your comfy bed rather than squeezing into a twin size bed is a real plus. You also get home cooked meals and time to cuddle with your dog. Wait, why did I move to school again?

3. Community college is much easier than BU

Basically, community college is another two years of high school with more people and different teachers.  My GPA was better in community college than it was in high school actually, but now that I transferred to BU I try not to even look at my GPA.

4. Visiting friends at school became a monthly vacation

Being able to take a break, escape your house, and get a car full of your closest pals to visit some of your fav friends for the weekend was the highlight of my community college career. Getting to see my friends and party with them at their school without needing to pay tuition was the best.

Although community college was one of the best decisions of my life, so was coming to BU. I’ve been given opportunities community college could not give me and I have made great friends coming here. BU might be pricey and have a less comfortable bed than mine at home, but I wouldn’t want to change the experiences I’ve had for anything.

I am a senior studying broadcast journalism at Boston University
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.