Why Do We Dress Up for Class?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Every night before bed, like clockwork, I set out my outfit for the next morning. It’s something I do without even really thinking about it. I’ve done this since the second week of freshman year (when I realized that running shorts and a t-shirt were not acceptable class attire). But WHY? Why do I straighten my hair, put on makeup, and coordinate jewelry for my US Media & Politics class?

Maybe it’s because I like to present myself well. A well-coordinated outfit can provide a serious confidence boost, and it’s my opinion that a brightly patterned scarf can lighten even the darkest of days. Maybe it’s because I spend enough (read: too much) on clothes, why not show them off? I’ve seen enough Louis Vuitton bags on Comm Ave to know that a lot of girls subscribe to this particular idea. Or maybe it’s because until last year, I wore a uniform to school everyday. At my all girls’ high school, there was more of a competition to see who could look the most homeless; here at BU, it seems to be the exact opposite. It could be all of these things, I honestly don’t know. But I do know that there is nothing rational about me wearing (exceptionally cute) flats in the snow.

First of all, this is BU, so my classes have a female to male ratio of about 35:-3. I’ve never felt the need to dress up for other girls before, but I honestly think that this is a big influence for a lot of people, including myself (“I saw Cady Heron wearing army pants and flip-flops, so I bought army pants and flip-flops.”). Second of all, of those -3 males, I’d say about 97% of them are not of the heterosexual persuasion. So there’s that.

They say that the definition of insanity is repeating the same action over and over again but expecting different results. Maybe if I keep dressing nicely for my COM classes, a straight male to impress will suddenly appear?

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.