What You Need to Bring for Marathon Monday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As someone who was sober last Marathon Monday, I can accurately tell you what I recall as the biggest needs for the day. I remember hearing people constantly asking for these things, and being annoyed when your friends didn’t bring/ lost them (how dare they!). But just to be safe, better bring your own:

1. Drawstring bag

Trust me, you need somewhere to keep all your cool Marathon Monday swag. No one wants their hands full when they’re running around Boston- and please, don’t risk losing or ruining your favorite purse. Those free drawstring bags they gave out at Splash are perfect for the day- you won’t lose them and they hold just enough.

2. WATER

It might not be hot, but if you’re engaging in normal Marathon Monday activities, you’ll be thirsty. Not only will getting to a store be a challenge on MM, the places that give out free water will be swamped- ain’t nobody got time for that.

3. Sun protection

Although winter felt the need to overstay it’s welcome this year, MM is still one day where you’ll probably spend more time outside that you have since last summer. To prep for that, apply sunscreen before going out, and bring a hat and sunglasses. You’re going to be tired on Tuesday; you don’t want to be sunburnt too!

4. Cash

So, imagine this: On the off chance you didn’t take my advice and bring water, you’re walking around super dehydrated. You walk into a store, grab a water, wait in a 53 person line, then hand the cashier your water bottle and credit card. But- it’s declined (from heavy spending getting ready for MM)! Or their machine is broken, or they have a minimum amount to use the card. You don’t get the water, and go next door to wait in a 78 person line to get water at McDonalds.

Not fun. Take my advice: have a few bucks on you on Monday. Enough to buy a water/ vitamin water, but not enough that you’ll freak out if it’s lost (although, I would freak out if I lost $4. That’s two slices of pizza).

With those essentials, you’ll be prepared to have an awesome time on Monday. Have fun on Marathon Monday- but be prepared! With the weather in Boston, it’s going to be a crapshoot as far as what to wear- but you can never go wrong with workout pants and a light jacket, and comfortable shoes.  Other than that, be prepared to show off your best Marathon Monday tee.

While I’m on the subject- a few tips for Tuesday: have your sunglasses ready and fill your Brita before going out, since you won’t want to after.

From everyone at HCBU, have an awesome and safe Marathon Monday! 

Quinn Rodriguez is a junior at Boston University in the School of Management. Coming from beautiful Los Angeles, she deals with the Boston Winters, but loves spring more. Serving as the PR Chair for her fraternity Delta Kappa Alpha is pretty much her favorite thing ever, right next to red lipstick and people watching. Check her out at: http://quinnrodriguezonline.wordpress.com 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.