What Should I Give Homeless People?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Though it may be seen as a natural occurrence to some and a shocking, disturbing reality to others, there are homeless people in Boston. Whether you are hopping on and off the T, pushing your way out of the ringing door of Starbucks, or rushing to Barnes and Noble, you are likely to pass a man or woman grasping a cardboard sign, numbly cupping an old mug, or even holding the door open for you, wishing you god’s blessing or a good day. Many students find it difficult to know how to react; after all, we seem to have so many opportunities at our fingertips—warm dorms to settle down in at night, dining halls just a swipe away, and years of learning and research to prepare ourselves for the workforce. But we must not feel guilty, nor can we feel superior. What we should feel is a conviction to make a difference in our own way.

While participating in Boston University’s First Year Student Opportunity Project under the Homelessness and Housing division, I learned that, according to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, “Boston has the second-highest proportion of sheltered homeless people,” having shelter for about 96.8% of the homeless people in the city. Since we are a part of such a large urban community, being capable of sheltering so many homeless people safely is impressive and ultimately reflective of the moral obligation that so many Boston residents have taken upon themselves.  As students, we should heed this moral imperative to help those around us who are less fortunate.

A couple of weeks ago¸ I made a pit stop at Dunkin for a latte. Since I brought my old receipt from a past hot chocolate order, I was able to receive a free muffin of my choice. I picked a pumpkin flavored treat and, instead of letting my taste buds swim in a rush of autumn-themed goodness, I handed over my DD bag to a kind man out front who had asked me for some change. Although he may have preferred to see Andrew Jackson’s face, I am sure he enjoyed the surprise snack.

You too can brighten someone’s day unexpectedly. Begin with small steps; try pocketing fruit (the allowable amount!) from any of the dining halls and handing the bananas, apples, and oranges over to whoever pulls at your heart strings. Healthy food is difficult to keep when one is living on the street; fruits and vegetables are expensive and need to be freshly preserved in a refrigerator. When given the chance to spend their limited earnings, a person would more easily afford dinner from the greasy dollar menu than splurge $8.95 on a Greek salad and some apple slices.

But there are places within our city that have the money and the resources to provide healthier meals. For instance, Rosie’s Place—a nearby soup kitchen and care center for poor and homeless women on Harrison Avenue— is reliant on volunteers, such as students like you, to continue operating. The first time I volunteered there, I was brought to a back room where women could come in one by one to pick out vegetables, as if they were shopping at a free farmer’s market. When I bagged their choices and wished them each a nice morning, I could see that they had felt empowered; I was attending to their needs, and they were making their own healthy decisions.

Remember: it takes a considerable amount of courage to ask for help. It is an uncomfortable experience to realize that one’s life needs improvement, and even harder to put oneself in the position to accept being reliant on others. But, as long as resources are available for those who fall through the cracks, there will be brave souls to step forward and accept the help—your help.

If you or any of your friends wish to find places to volunteer, you can browse through http://www.volunteermatch.org or http://greatnonprofits.org/. It’s never too late! And, perhaps once you find your niche in the volunteering community, you may feel more comfortable when you witness the homeless men or women you pass on the street, knowing you have helped them. Give them a hand up, not a hand out; don’t pass them at all.

Shannon Stocks is a Junior at Boston University in the Sargent School for Health Sciences, majoring in Speech Language and Hearing Sciences. She has always loved to write and focuses this passion on her poetry. In her free time, you can find her at spin class on Newbury Street, working on a project in the community service center, or at the Hillel House. She loves being a part of the Her Campus Team!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.