What Makes a Healthy Snack: A Few You Thought Were Healthy But Need to Rethink

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

While it can be obvious that grabbing a large juicy apple from the GSU or choosing to pick out pieces of pineapple from the fruit selection in the dining hall are healthy snack options, the right choice might be less recognizable when you are bombarded with aisles of food in the grocery store. There are labels such as “light and fit,” “calorie free,” and “slimming” which may jump out at you and fool you into paying for sugary granola bars and artificially sweetened products that have no actual nutritional value. Hopefully, this article will clear up a few things on what purchases you should be making, when you do opt for that healthy snack.

Check the nutrition sticker on your product! Look beyond the initial label or commercial representations.

Nutritional value to look for:

• high in protein
  • vitamins
  • minerals
  • fiber
  • low calories, not no calories
  • low fat
  • no trans fat
  • low amounts of sugar
  • low sodium

Don’t skimp out on your whole grains!

“Multi-grain” and “7 grain” granola bar and cereal snack products sound healthy, but look for 100% whole-grain, avoiding refined grains and “bleached” or “unbleached enriched wheat flower.”

Be aware of what “reduced fat” can mean!

Again, read the label carefully; sometimes, a reduced fat product could contain more sugar than the version with the same number of calories, but more fat.

Also, reducing fat is not necessarily always the best option. Products that have “good” natural monounsaturated fats (such as nuts: almonds, cashews, peanuts) are fantastic for your body, and keep you full.

I recommend a spoonful or two of organic “Peanut Butter and Company” product.

Avoid high fructose corn syrup!

Many energy bars that seem perfect to grab from the snack bar after a trip to Fitrec can be filled with high fructose corn syrup and added sugar. Fuel with protein rather than sugar, and be wary of how many calories these energy bars can have (some have over 400!). 

Now here are some of the best and healthiest quick snacks to add to your dorm room!

• Kind bars
  • Annie’s Oatmeal Cookies
  • Lara Bars
  • Simple Squares
  • Organic popcorn, salted not buttered or all natural kettle corn
  • chobani yogurts
  • Arctic Zero “ice cream”
  • Rhythm Superfood Kale Chips
  • Wheat Thins
Shannon Stocks is a Junior at Boston University in the Sargent School for Health Sciences, majoring in Speech Language and Hearing Sciences. She has always loved to write and focuses this passion on her poetry. In her free time, you can find her at spin class on Newbury Street, working on a project in the community service center, or at the Hillel House. She loves being a part of the Her Campus Team!
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis