“What the Heck is Capstone?”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

FINALS ARE OVER! At least for CGS students they are. It is now time to embark on the culmination of our sophomore year by completing capstone. But, what the heck is capstone?! Do you still have classes? You just have to write a paper?

So many questions are flying around campus about what capstone is and what really goes on in the last month of school for CGS students. Let me help you out.

Capstone is a research-based project that all sophomores in CGS must complete. You are put into a group of seven (that you can choose with your classmates) to write a 50-page paper based on one of the three core classes you take. Every year the class rotates, and this year’s focus is our Natural Science-Ecology class. Therefore, our paper will be on an environmental issue and a policy we have created to fix it, in the New England area.

We do not have our regularly schedule CGS classes at this time. However, there are scheduled meetings with our professors and we have to make time to meet with our group on our own. While 50 pages may not seem like a lot, there is a lot of research and coordination that goes into capstone.

During the last week of April and the beginning of May we will present our findings to three CGS professors. They will evaluate our project and we will have a chance to have a formal presentation to argue our policy and any of its’ failures.

So while you may be filled with envy that your CGS friends no longer have to spend hours in class each day, they are not out shopping either. It will be nice to have a more relaxed schedule for the next month, but it is still college, and the work never stops.

Good luck to all CGS sophomores and a successful completion of their capstone. 

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.