What to Expect from a Large University after Graduating from a Class of 55

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

By Lucy Stowe

When I first applied to college my senior year, I knew for a fact that none of them would be as small as my senior class of 55 in high school. Out of the 16 schools I applied to, Boston University was by far the largest with an average of 3,500 in the freshman class. When I decided I would attend in the fall, the sheer vastness of my freshmen class only began to seem real when I was flooded with Facebook friend requests and Instagram followers. Later, when I attended orientation, I was shocked that the number of people who attended the first orientation with me did not even make up half the freshmen class. The waves of people that flooded the dining halls seemed overwhelming to me and I have to admit, I was intimidated.

The prospect of being in a freshman class larger than 100 people scared me, but it excited me as well. I began to see the opportunities that would come with a larger (and more diverse) student body. Coming from a graduating class of 55, I wasn’t used to seeing (and being able to express) different opinions and I wasn’t quite sure how to be myself when mostly similar people surrounded me. With 3,500 other freshmen, there were people from all walks of life, with all sorts of opinions. Everyone else’s willingness to be themselves — to be open and honest about what they like, what they stood up for, and what they believed in — was contagious.

As my first year comes to a close this spring, I can definitely say that I am glad to have chosen a school with a larger and more diverse student body. Making connections and friendships has been easy when you meet new people each day. I wouldn’t want it any other way. While a large university intimidated me at first, the opportunities that have become available to me as a result of the size of my school are indispensable.

So, if you’re like me and you’re used to knowing everyone in your high school, dive into the deep end and go for the larger university! You may be surprised how much you enjoy it.

Lucy is a junior studying Psychology at Boston University. She lives in San Diego but prefers Boston. She has one cat but she would really like a large dog. You can find her lounging on the Esplanade, binge-watching Netflix in her room, or hanging out with friends on the BU beach. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.